SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jen1996_gw

raised bed full of squash, pumpkin, green beans and cucumbers

jen1996
11 years ago

Hi all. I am a beginner gardener. My very first garden was a success but I credit the excellent soil and growing conditions.

We moved from that location nine years ago. When we purchased our house the previous homeowners said they had gardened here but not very successfully. I have not had good luck either. The soil is awful. Each year I would bring in more soul and mix with what we have.

well this year I decided to do raised beds using the lasagne method and things are going well. Everything is thriving. I am very excited.

The problem I am having is I am not exactly sure what to do re a few things.

in one 4x8 bed I have two yellow squash plants two spaghetti

Squash, a few pumpikns a row of pole beans and one cucumber. When I went out to weed a little yesterday I realized these healthy

strong plants were all grabbing on to one another. I have poles for the beans and most are going upward but some are not. The one cucumber is going in several directions. I was hoping all of the vines from these crawlers would just grow nicely out of the bed and onto the lawn.I read I can use a trellis for the cucumbers but am wondering if it is too late. The plant is several feet in several different directions.

I am also wondering if when the plants grab onto eachother the best way to separate. Is it ok to break the little shoots that wrap around the other plant?

Thanks

Jen

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County