SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
irisnquilt

Wanted: Daylily Seeds

irisnquilt
13 years ago

New to this forum and Daylilys! I am growing very fond of them . . but of course they are very expensive! Willing to wait for the beauties tho!

Would be willing to send SASBE for seeds.

Thank you in advance!

Comments (10)

• newyorkrita
    13 years ago

Welcome to the forum. Are you growing daylilies now? Tell us your intersts and join in the discussions we have here.

Are you aware of the Lily Auction? There is a section for seeds were you can get lots of seeds. But unfortunately, some of them are quite expensive.

I never have seeds as I cut off any bee pods that appears.

• Julia WV (6b)
    13 years ago

Welcome to the forum.
    You can post on the seed exchange forum here on GW as well.
    Here is the link to the exchange forum

Hope you find what your looking for.

Here is a link that might be useful: GARDEN EXCHANGES AND TRADING

• irisnquilt
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I just have the Stella D'Ora right now. Those were given to me by my mom.
    Hubby and I just purchased our first home (2008) on 1.2 acres and 1/2 was field so we're trying to do our best with our funds. After purchasing the home he was transferred from MI to IN for 6 months (that was awful) and then after coming back laid off. So it's been trying but we are loving our home. We will make it and make it ours!
    I am good at growing from seed and daylilys seem to be very easy from what I have read. I have grown tomatoes, geraniums, zinnia and asters from seed. I've been told if I can grow geraniums I can grow anything! I guess they are hard but for me they were up in 3 days . . little tiny green dots in the soil!
    Any daylily seeds tho' would be muchly appreciated!

• newyorkrita
    13 years ago

First off, are you aware that daylilies grown from seeds DO NOT look like the parents? They might be very close as in the case of STELLA bee pods but most look quite different. Some are very pretty and others are just aweful. No way to know until they bloom. And it takes awhile for bloom. I don't hybridize but lots of people on the forum do (for fun) and people love to see their seedlings bloom. Many do end up in the compost pile as they are too ugly even for garden flowers but others are great garden flowers.

Sounds as if you are good with growing from seed. Now that you have posted once, don't dissapear. I don't know how everyone else thinks but when someone posts once and we never hear from them again, it makes me think they were not serious about daylilies.

Lots of people start with STELLA and lots have it now. I myself have STELLA SUPREME, which really looks just the same.

• silverkelt
    13 years ago

You can purchase them from lilyauction for about 10 bucks for 5 seeds per cross, some of the newer ones will get around 20-30 bucks, some of the older ones around 5.. every once in awhile, there is a crazy auction that will go insane , Ive seen some near 100 for five seeds.

Your in my zone so it will take 2-3 years to see a bloom and another year or two to determine if its worth your garden space.. IE nice face, nice garden characteristics etc..

Even if you are not breeding for release, you do not want dogs in your garden... If you get enough that are just fantastic you might consider naming some and spreading a few around!

Dont think its that much cheaper to purchase the seeds in the end, growing them also costs money, I run lights from end of October to end of April time frame, plus heat mats , promix, etc.. In the end the time and effort of starting your own beauties will be comparable to buying one..

However, Im not trying to discourage you from doing it, it can be very rewarding seeing a pretty creation of your own.
    You will also get to the point that you wont need many seeds as you will have dozens of your own crosses, I just buy some now to branch out into different colors or forms Im currently not doing.

{{gwi:309266}}

Silverkelt

• irisnquilt
    Original Author
    13 years ago

silverkelt I love that picture! How long have those seedlings been in those Solo cups?

yes I'm aware I won't get the same from the seed. Growing from seed has it expenses but still less in the long run. Esp. when you are trying to get quantity. I have Promix in 55 gal. barrels . . love that stuff. I guess for me it's partially the thrill of it as well...knowing that you started that seed!

Thanks for the responses. I do appreciate it. I will try to get here as often as I can... weekly! I take care of my grandmother who has Alzheimers, my mom just had a 5 way bypass and a DD who has CMV and is currently having a flare. Gardening, mowing and quilting are getaways from life!

• silverkelt
    13 years ago

2 months or so.. when they near the end, my lights that I have on chains , moved all the way up, they will be past them..

Do a quick research on diploid and tetraploidly in daylilies before you start purchasing anything.

I usually have a few crosses leftover every year as well that I dont want to start, either mine, or bonus, or even some purchases, lol.. Ive paid 12 bucks for a cross, then after starting my 500th seed, I start really thinking to myself What the heck have I done, and I guess this one isnt really want I want to go anyways..

I can always send you a couple later in the season.

Silverkelt

• irisnquilt
    Original Author
    13 years ago

silverkelt
    That would be very nice and awesome of you! Be glad to pay for any postage expenses! Thank you so very much!

• rarejem
    13 years ago

Iris, All of my seeds are gone at this point this year, but I usually end up with a surplus from some older varieties that aren't in huge demand, and would be happy to share for postage. Unfortunately, your request timing is bad as I usually have all of mine either planted or given away between December and February.

You will enjoy growing them if you have the room... the fun of seeing what comes out is very enjoyable!

Julie

• irisnquilt
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Julie,
    I would be happy to send postage your way for seeds! When it's time and you're ready just shoot me an email! Thank you so much and when December rolls around maybe I can catch up to you as well! Thank you again! -Kim