SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
clickermel

English Ivy vs. Vinca Minor -- Opinions Wanted

clickermel
18 years ago

Hello everyone,

I have a large shady area (gets mostly dappled sunlight only) under trees that doesn't grow grass very well. It is also horribly rocky. The soil itself is very good but it is 2/3 rocks for the first 2 inches or so (the past owners, for some reason, thought a large-rocked gravel driveway through the backyard to the barn would be a good idea. The rocks appear to have bred and are now taking over a good portion of the shady area of the yard).

Weeds and violets grow OK in this mix but not prolifically. Getting a backhoe in here and exchanging 2" of rocks for 2" of topsoil is not an option due to our budget.

In my search for a groundcover that is:

- evergreen (zone 6a)

- low (6")

- fast-spreading

- thick enough to block out weeds once grown in

- capable of surviving in that rocky soil

- capable of standing up to the dogs (3 large breeds; they live in the house but spend probably a total of a couple of hours per day outside) . . .

I came up with two options: vinca minor and english ivy.

Pros and cons of each, for those of you with experience? Or any other options I hadn't considered?

I'm looking for something that can fill in fairly quickly, as I don't want to dig eight gazillion holes in that rocky soil. It's a fairly large area, maybe 30' x 50'.

THANKS for any words of sage advice or wisdom you could share!

:-) Mel

Comments (21)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths