SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dawgie_gw

growing blue fescue from seed

dawgie
18 years ago

Just wanted to share my experiences growing blue fescue from seed. I saw a packet of blue fescue seeds at WalMart or Target last spring and bought it for something like 35 cents. Planted the seeds in 6-8 peat pots and pretty much ignored them. They sprouted quickly and I repotted into 4" pots in the summer. They are now all nice 6" tall/wide clumps of blue fescue. One of the keys to helping them bunch up is to give them regular "haircuts" while they are still small. I just cut them back with scissors several times during the growing season and in early spring. I plan to sow another batch of seeds soon, so I will have a ready supply for other areas in my yard.

I'm broadening my OG propagation this year to include N. Sea Oats, Chasmanthium. I have two clumps in my yard that reseeded heavily around the plants. I have been digging up some of the seedlings and repotting them, so I soon will have another dozen Sea Oats to plant or trade. I wouldn't call these plants aggressively invasive, but they do reseed rather heavily -- enough to keep my busy weeding for 20 minutes or so when I get around to it.

Comments (19)

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County
More Discussions