SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
spokanepatty

ZONE 5 ? full sun/planting advice

spokanepatty
19 years ago

Hello - We are new to Ornametal Grass plantings but have completely fallen in love with the "look". On the chart it says Spokane Washington is a Zone 6 but the nurseries we have visited say they purchase for Zone 5 here. Our summers are warm (usually in high 80's to 90's) with temps in winter easily down below 10 or even 0 on occasion. Is it typical for commercial vendors to drop one zone for guarantee purposes? We want to plant for specimens - I have been advised to bury a new grass in a large plastic container with the bottom cut out to stop over growth spreading. Can this be done with clumping grasses? Is it even needed? Any name suggestions for the most colorful & free flowing plants?? They will be placed in full sun WITHOUT drought conditions plus (assuming) a Zone 5. We have also been told for the brightest colors we shouldnt count on the plants coming back each year and "go' for annuals. Most of you sound so knowledgable and pass the proper names for grasses easily - I am envious - Where have I been all these years? We are enthused to have our beds become "grassed" & getting the party started :-) Any suggestions given will be much appreciated

Comments (4)

Sponsored
More Discussions