SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alantaflowergal

What are your favorites for Atlanta?

alantaflowergal
14 years ago

Hello all, I would like some input if you have the time. I have a nice sized garden/yard in Atlanta (Grant Park) that is basically half shade, half sun. The shade area has several dogwoods running alongside a wooden privacy fence, some Rose of Sharon that were there when I purchased the house, I transplanted a few hosta back there to get them out of the sun, and a friend gave me some hellabores, and I've now planted those and they are doing fine. I also bought a flame azalea at the Zoo sale, and its still small but doing fine. What I would like are some ideas for taller somewhat showy, shade tolerant/filtered sun blooming plants that do well in Atlanta. I have a vision of a [colorful?] woodland blooming garden in that area, but definitely need some ideas.

The other side of the yard is sunny. I have some elephant ears, a crape myrtle - still small, butterfly bush (I know, I know), beautyberry, a couple rose bushes and maybe a couple of other plants that Home Depot and Lowes carries as those stores pretty much have been my main source for purchasing. Again, I would appreciate some ideas for fill-in plants that are a little out of the ordinary. I have cannas, day lillies, etc. in other places around the property, but really wanted some different out-of-the-ordinary plants for the backyard garden.

I thought maybe I'd take a trip down to Nearly Native Plants this weekend but before I go and fall in love with everything, I would like to know what some of your favorites are and maybe I could look for those specific plants. Or, if you have any suggestions for plants that I could find in-town, that would be just as good too.

Know that I do water as-needed and have pretty good soil. Everything I've planted seems to stay alive and then some.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Comments (5)

Sponsored