SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fogmatic

When to sow Magellan Blue Grass under glass?

Fogmatic
13 years ago

I've searched the web in vain. This may be because, so far, I've found not only 15 other popular names for it, but 15 BOTANICAL names; Elymus magellanicus is the one used by my favourite seed company (which tries to use the latest names). It's a perennial grass, described by some as 'the bluest of blue grasses'.

I've found the 'how' (pressed into the moist surface & exposed to light), and temperature (15-18c/about 20c), but not the 'when' (except that seeds of some perennial grasses can be sown indoors in late winter & planted out after the last frosts).

I have raised a few of these from seed in previous years, but at haphazard times (as with all my seeds). I want to do it at the best times and save some effort!

I currently have about 70 packets of seeds (excluding vegetables). Instead of simply storing them alphabetically, I've just decided to file the packets according to the ideal, or earliest, sowing month. I've found those out up to 'T' so far, except for Elymus!

I find it more practicable to propagate in the greenhouse than outside (whatever the type of plant).

I'm in the NW of Ireland, at about the same latitude as Penrith in England

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting
More Discussions