SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
westender_gw

our community garden

WestEnder
17 years ago

The community garden I belong to, the Mother Clyde Garden in the West End of Atlanta, is having a fundraiser brunch on Saturday, June 17. I've listed it on the calendar section of gardenweb, but I thought I'd also mention it here so that if anyone wants to ask me any questions about it I can answer them here.

We're trying to raise money to fund our youth pepper project. We hire kids from the community while they're out of school during the summer and they care for hot pepper plants, then harvest the peppers and bottle hot pepper sauce. It's a popular program, and the kids also get free breakfasts through another city program we hook into.

In addition to the brunch we're serving, we're also going to have a silent auction for home and garden items our treasurer has managed to have donated. She's a real go-getter, so there's no telling what might be available.

Also, I guess I should mention that our community garden is the featured nonprofit at the register at Sevananda health food co-op during the month of June. If you shop there, take a look at our table by the cash registers, and think about donating a dollar or two to our garden. We could really use some new garden hoses. . . .

I'd really love to see some gardenweb members at our community garden on June 17. My garden plot has really taken off in the last week or so; I've got a beautiful tromboncino squash vine that is the envy of the rest of the community garden, for instance. My climbing lima beans are obediently climbing their bamboo poles. Herbs are blooming. Of course not everything is perfect, but it's looking pretty good, and I feel like all the work I've put into it has been worthwhile.

E-mail me if you can make it, and I'll hold a ticket for you. It's only $10!! Brunch will be served. (can't say what's on the menu as I'm not part of that planning) But there will also be a door prize, and as I mentioned, silent auction.

Comments (2)

Sponsored