SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
paula_7a

Is it too late to plant flowering shrubs?

Paula_7a
18 years ago

Hello everyone! This is my first posting after having lurked a while, and let me say that you are such a wonderfully helpful and knowledgeable group! I hope to be able to share a little in the future, but right now I would like to ask for your advice...

We have moved into a new home where the fenced back yard consists of a sunny level zoysia lawn topped by three retaining walls (the sides slope toward the front of the lot). At present, the retaining walls are bare (well, to be precise, they are covered with inadequate amounts of pinestraw mulch and encroaching weeds!). We want to plant flowering shrubs as a hedge all the way down atop the back wall.

My questions for you are two:

1) Do you have suggestions for what shrubs to plant if year-round interest is the goal? We know we definitely want to grow azaleas and hydrangeas--what might complement these and create a three- or four-season display? (All interesting non-flowering shrubs considered too!) This wall gets dappled sun and part direct sun/part shade.

1) Must I wait until the fall to plant--has the weather become too warm already? Or would some of these shrubs cope all right with a May planting? I'd like to get at least a few plants in the ground now if at all possible.

Thanks for your time! I look forward to any replies!

Paula in Alpharetta

Comments (6)

Sponsored