SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bry84

Reducing household waste?

bry84
17 years ago

I'm trying to find ways to create less household rubbish. I believe that the amount of things we throw away is both a symptom and cause of many environmental and financial problems in this county. Reducing consumption is certainly the most effective solution to the problem, much more effective than recycling even. It just hasn't captured the public's attention the same way as recycling has.

My first target is disposables, simply because they're plain wasteful and expensive. I've got hold of or bought the following:

Reusable shopping bags

Boxes for carrying food to places like work

Battery charger

Hankies

Reusable/washable cleaning cloths

These few items have drastically cut the amount of rubbish we generate, but I feel we could do a lot more still. I'm wondering what everyone else is doing to reduce waste?

Comments (40)

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    17 years ago

Unfortunately, it seems those of us who already are conscious of this are the ones trying to cut back further!

First and foremost, I try to buy things in bigger packages/less packaging - no single serves. This makes a very big difference, IMO, especially in households with kids. Instead of single-serve yogurts, juices, applesauces and fruits, I buy larger containers. This holds true to a lesser extent for other snacks - I try to buy, say a big box of ritz bits (and then compost the box) instead of buying the single serve packets. It really ticks me off that so many of these small, single-serve containers are #5 & #6 plastics - and these are not widely recyclable in most communities. Also, in addition to being less packaging, it seems the larger containers are more often #1 & #2, which is recyclable.

Also, no individual water bottles. I buy one, and then refill it from the tap for at least a month or so.

I also cringe when I see those cleaning commercials that have a smiling person saying, "Just use, and throw away!" So I also use reuseable/washable cloths. Just today I was looking for reusable mop cloths.

Also, just today, I bought a few more reusable shopping bags. The problem here is remembering to put them in the car when I go shopping, lol!

I also wash and reuse plastic ziploc-type bags, although I don't buy them too often to begin with, and we don't use them too often, but sometimes it seems to be the best thing.

It does seem like there is more I can do. I recycle everything I possibly can (including collecting the recyclables from work and bringing them home to put in my bin) and I also compost, as well as reuse everything I can, but you're right - there's got to be more ways we can cut back. I'm hoping someone gives some other ways I can use in this thread (great thread, by the way - thanks!)

:)
    Dee

• seraphima
    17 years ago

I try to compost a lot of non-greasy edibles. Usually, there is a compost heap going somewhere on our property, so eggshells, many kinds of veggie peels, tea leaves, etc. go there. I'm reluctant to compost animal products due to the prevalence of the extremely large Kodiak bears, which I do NOT want to attract. However, putting food scraps in a blender with a lot of water gets around this, and also does not attract rats.
    Since carboniferous plant matter is also scarce in this ecosystem, I bring home shredded office paper from work to use as my 'browns'. An old wool rug that the cat made unusuable went to the bottom of one compost heap and very successfully stopped some persistent weeds.

The dump here allows people (with prior permission) to scavenge clean wood for burning, leaves and grass clippings for composting, old nets for fishing, and for use for other things (keeping eagles off the chickens, for one!) and also windows, doors, sinks, etc. may be salvaged for free for re-use. There are people who have built cabins out of recycled materials from the dump.

This thread is a great idea, what else do people do?!

• Related Discussions

Reducing Landfill Waste?

Q

Comments (19)
    Also, some of the reason that things take so long has nothing to do with anaerobic activity. It has to do with chemicals released from other trash that inhibit microbiological activity altogether in spots. Liquids and gases from allowed trash, but you have to also consider all the trash that is added that isn't supposed to be allowed. Every seen your neighbor (or been guilty of it yourself) put something in the trash that shouldn't have been? Many people put stuff in a trash bag to hide the contents. Batteries for example. Bottles of used antifreeze for another. Water. Did anyone mention the fresh water tied up and extensively polluted in landfills? How much water weight is in vegetable scraps? A lot. Those of you who freeze your stuff and then thaw it can see how much water comes out because of the act of bursting cell walls and releasing water. Keeping that out of a sealed landfill is also contributing to fresh water conservation. One last thing: If you think putting paper (other than phone books, which are at the end of the recycle life) in the worm bin or compost is doing a good thing for the environment I urge you to think again. If you can recycle it, that is definitely better than encouraging the need to cut down more trees and process more paper product. Maybe if hemp - not talking about pot, but any of the multiple other hemp plants that don't produce a marketable "drug" that are also just as illegal - were legalized (as the paper industry keeps trying to tell the governments) the argument would be different. As it stands composting paper may be better than a landfill but it is not better than recycling.
    ...See More

Need thoughts on this plan for primarily 1 person household

Q

Comments (29)
    I've never had an actual closet, I've always had cabinets for linens. I feel anything else wastes some space and is harder to access and organize. I wouldn't put a pocket door to the bathroom again if I could avoid it. My old house where I lived by myself had a pocket door to the hall bath. I would prefer not doing that again, but there was no other option in that bath or I would have changed it out. Thankfully it only had a bit of sight line from the kitchen of part of the vanity (non-sink part) and the linen cabinet. Yours though has a sight line from the dinette, kitchen, family room, depending on where you are, of the tub and potentially part of the toilet. My current house has a door opening to the linen cabinet for our 2nd bath. It is just fine to have to close the door when needing to access it. Maybe I don't access it as often as you do. Just consider how often you would be accessing it in a day and will having a door there bother you?
    ...See More

To reduce or Not to reduce??

Q

Comments (12)
    Susie, First thing to do is take a deep breathe & calm down the emotions. I know you really like this house & the price has dropped; but, it's not the only "dream" house out there. If it's not available when your house sells you'll find something else you like as much, or better. Four months is too long to go without a price reduction. Even in today's environment the market is very efficient. If a property is priced 'right' it will sell within 45-70 days. The big question today is, of course, what is 'right'? That number has no relationship to what you either want or feel you should receive. The buyer determines value. You can't use current listings as comparison. You need to know what has SOLD recently & is comparable to your property. Ask your agent to update his market analysis. Be prepared...it's likely to be 5-10% below four months ago. If nothing has sold then it's because listing prices are not in line with buyer's current perceived value & you'll need to get down low enough to motivate a buyer. If you want to sell quickly...price aggressively...in the range of 95-97% of whatever your new market comparables indicate. The market is all about PRICE today. IMO, a $1K reduction is unlikely to excite anybody into making an offer. Also, take a hard look at your pictures. Are they showing the house to best advantage? Any wallpaper? If so, remove it & take new pictures. Any strong paint colors? If so, repaint & take new pictures. You've done a lot of de-cluttering recently. Do your current pictures reflect the new cleaner look? Curb appeal? It's hard this time of year but soon you can add a pot of pansies by the front door. Don't forget to keep the windows clean. Does the front door need paint? Is your mailbox by the street? If so, is it old & battered? If so, replace it. IOW, do whatever you can to spruce up the curb appeal. Most buyers reject a property within the first 3 minutes. First impression is critical. But, ultimately, today is about price. Bluntly, it may very well be that you can't get the number you'd like. If it's so tight that you're only considering a $1K drop...it doesn't sound like you've got a lot of negotiation/wiggle room. Over my career, I've probably sold close to a couple thousand houses. I've seen lots of buyer types. Enough to know that there's really no telling exactly what will tweak somebody's button enough for them to make an offer. I can say though that the best bet is price. A buyer will overlook many perceived deficiencies for the right price. There are many ways to manipulate price. A buyer's agent bonus is one way but, as Jo has already noted, a good agent isn't that moved by a bonus. They really do try to match a property to their customer's needs/desires. You could offer to buy down a buyer's interest rate by a point. Rates are already low...but, you might catch somebody on the cusp who could afford your house with, say, a 4.5% mortgage but not at current rates. A straight price reduction offers value to the largest buyer pool. You can also offer a redecorating allowance. First time homebuyers are, sometimes, motivated by having their new appliances paid for by the seller. This technique will rarely, if ever, work with an experienced buyer. You can also offer to pay the first 3-6 month's mortgage payments (cost would be escrowed). Again, this is a first time homebuyer attraction, possibly...not the move-up buyer. I've sold some real dogs by just offering a new TV...this only works well, IMO, if you've got the TV in the house so a buyer can see it...and, it has to be something exciting not the cheapest Best Buy close-out. All of these things are just alternatives to lowering your listing price. Ultimately, IMO again, the best is to lower your price 5%...wait 3 weeks & if it hasn't sold...lower another 5% until you find that "right" price. That WILL work almost guaranteed even today. The market is valuing your property at some now unknown price point. To sell quickly you'll have to find that value. In today's market, any other way is just luck. And, I often say I'd rather be lucky than good any day! Seriously though, if you want that house sold...lower the price ! Best of luck! /tricia
    ...See More

Savings achieved in daily household routine

Q

Comments (83)
    I could almost have avoided buying radish seed this spring, for there were quite a few radishes about an inch high in the fall, volunteering from the radishes that had gone to seed earlier. There are a good deal many more this spring ... and some from the area where the radishes were, the year before. Anyone want some radish seeds? I have a few lettuce plants starting on their own, as well. Last year had quite a few zucchini from the ones that had spoiled that I threw directly on to the garden rather than into compost ... plus some volunteer tomato plants in a part of the garden where they were not planted, as well. I had about 60 some asparagus plants, last year ... but the landlord nicked some when he ran the tiller down the rows, last summer. And this spring when he did the initial tilling, to chew up the residues from last year and let the chewed up pieces start to rot ... he nicked a fair chunk of one row. Plus some died, I think ... so I think that I have only about half as many plants, now. Quite a few more seeds, so will fill in the blank spaces (but will need to mark them, as they'll need to be transplanted later than the originals). I save some of the first run of cold water out of the hot water tap in the bathroom/kitchen to water the cats, as well as flush the toilet. You guys in the sunny south-west should do a lot of that, cause you sure are short of water. They had a note on the radio the other day that they're worried that the rivers in rather dry Alberta are polluted now, and the flow is largely allocated ... ... so if some of you come wanting us to ship some down the trench between the mountains to California, Arizona, etc. ... we may be tellling you to get lost! The glaciers that feed them have been shrinking ... and if (when?) they die, Calgary may be crying big time for water, themselves. Have yourselves a lovely spring, everyone ... it's getting so that one can drop most of the winter clothing sometimes, in the last few days ... sort of a relief, that. ole joyful
    ...See More
  • calliope
    17 years ago

I just got done with a class in environmental science. The lecture describing what kind and how much waste the typical household puts in a landfill in one year was disturbing to the point of disgust.

I produce a good deal of our food from my gardens and can it. Nearly all of my fruits and vegetables, actually. So, there isn't much packaging to throw away on them, save the narrow little lid and it's recyclable. I buy most of my household products in containers I can re-use and then buy those brands who offer refills in large sizes. I don't buy a lot of household chemicals because I find a good all purpose soap like octagon fulfills a variety of uses from scrubbing floors to washing walls. A product like window cleaner is also good for my kitchen counters/stainless appliances. Like a previous poster, I prefer my mop and pail to fancy gadgets with disposable pads.

Of course I recycle and thankfully the collection point is now closer than it used to be. Mostly I recycle food tins, soda cans, glass and newspaper.

Nothing in the way of fabric is thrown out. I make rag-rugs and quilts out of anything appropriate. I also make my own hand-dipped candles using the remains of any body elses candles who will save them for me. LOL.

I buy those energy efficient bulbs because not only do they use less electricity, they last for years!

I have large canvas shopping bags I take to the market and keep in my car, so they are always handy. You have to practically insult most cashiers in markets not to get everything wrapped in plastic bags, so if I end up with a lot of them, they get used for at least one other job before being discarded.

I plan my menus so that left overs are hardly ever pitched. Those scraps like peelings and outer lettuce leaves go to my chickens. I also use the paper from the office paper shredder to line my chickens laying boxes. When I clean them the dirty litter goes to the pile of straw bedding I age overwinter and is used as fertiliser for my garden.

There is no such thing as yard waste on our property. Branches and twigs go to the periphery as cover for birds and small animals, and grass clippings are returned to the soil from where they came.

I've declined paper catalogues and use online paperless options where ever I can. I shop at resale shops for utilitarian items, instead of just buying new "stuff". We are also big in this household for repairing items, instead of just replacing them. Sometimes we pay more for the quality needed to do this, but they pay for themselves over time. Neither husband nor I automatically replace good furniture or housewares out of boredom or because they have "gone out of style".

• steve_o
    17 years ago

Wow. You folks already have covered many of the good ideas. Here are a few I can think of which are left:

- I can't remember the last time I served food cooked in my house on a paper plate. It's real plates or nothing. Ditto for table utensils. My dishwasher takes only about four gallons per load and it can hold a lot. I have to think that's less energy consumed (on both my part and the earth's!) than producing and then putting in a landfill paper or plastic plates and utensils.
    - Think "re-usable elsewhere". I treat myself to a latte once a week and try to show up with my travel mug. Not only does it keep one more plastic cup and lid out of the landfill; it also gets me a ten-cent discount. I usually use reusable bags for groceries at the co-op, but if I do end up with paper bags, they hold the recycling (which only goes out when I have a full bag to go out; they collect weekly here). Plastic bags, if unusable, are recycled; if usable, I keep a few to hold on to muddy shoes or other items I need to sequester temporarily; any other bags are folded neatly and given to Goodwill (which loves to see bags they can use for purchases). BTW, my grocery list is on the back of a paper envelope that I will recycle once I'm done shopping.
    - I have purchased items with recyclability in mind. Eventually that jar of jelly will be consumed. If it's a glass jar, though, it will be easier to recycle than a plastic one that they may not take.
    - No one has mentioned it in this thread, but it helps to cut off waste at the source. I get very few paper bills anymore; most of them arrive electronically and are paid that way. You can sign up to not get junk mail or even to not get credit offered through the mail. Don't even have it sent to you and you don't have to recycle or toss it!
    - Use your local craigslist/FreeCycle/whatever to pass on items that may be worthwhile to someone else. I had a bunch of clothes collected that were not good enough to give to Goodwill (frayed cuffs, holes, small stains I could not get out), but they were fine for someone who wanted to make patchwork quilts or toy stuffing or even their own art paper. Ditto with a very old garage door opener (no electric eye; didn't feel safe with it around kids); it went to an elderly man who'd never had one before and delighted in being able to open his garage door without getting out of the car in the ice and snow and rain.
    - Don't forget that waste is not just the tangible stuff that goes in the trash or recycling bin. You also (unavoidably) waste some heating or cooking fuel, electricity, and so on. Consider set-back thermostats, compact-fluorescent bulbs, Energy Star appliances, setting computers and other items to "sleep" when possible, line drying your wash outside in the summer, parking your car in the garage so it stays cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter.

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    17 years ago

Good point, steve, on the disposable plates, etc. I rarely use them, and when I do (once-a-year family event), I make sure I use paper so I can compost them. My kids keep asking me for those little paper cups to brush their teeth with and tell them to either use their hand or stick their head under the faucet, lol! Okay, only half-kidding - I give them a plastic, tupperware-type cup to use.

And I have plastic utensils in my drawer that are several years old - washed and reused a hundred times.

Those plastic grocery bags are the bane of my existence, lol! I don't know how many times I've had a clerk at the store give me four bags when I'm only buying five items! It's always a race to get to the paper bags before the clerk starts bagging in plastic. And even if you ask for paper, why do they insist on putting your meat in plastic? The meat just spent half an hour sitting in the cart with my other items, so it should survive the ride home without contamination. And besides, will chicken wrapped in plastic wrap really contaminate my canned vegetables? Sheesh.

(Which reminds me, I stopped by the store today and as soon as I got to the checkout line I realize I left my brand-new canvas totes at home! But I beat the clerk so I got paper, lol, which I will shred and use as mulch)

I try to use freecycle often also. I even offered a bunch of old Christmas cards that I didn't want to just toss, so I found someone who could use them for crafts. As they say, one man's trash...

Dee

• bry84
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Lots of good ideas and points being made, some of which I already do, so I'm trying to think what else I can add. There must be many more ways to reduce waste?

I'm considering an electric razor, that would mean no more throw away razors and cans of shaving foam in the bin. I just have had bad experiences with electric razors in the past.

I've also started shopping at the market, they sell fruit and vegetables from reusable crates without any plastic wrapping. I use my reusable shopping bags too.

Another thing I'm looking at is refilling my laser printer cartridge instead of replacing it when it runs out. Laser printing is already much more environmentally friendly.

I also use a refillable fountain pen, rather than those disposable pen/cartridge systems that make a huge amount of plastic waste. Considering it's the ink which is the product, then pens are perhaps the most over-packaged product we use every day. Buying just the ink makes more sense, and the ratio of ink to packaging is so much lower with a glass bottle. They also last a long time and are completely recyclable or refillable when empty.

I'm also pleased that all of these things are saving me money :)

• aok27502
    17 years ago

I'm loving all the good ideas here. We are fortunate to have a recycling program that takes all sorts of stuff, so I don't have to be so cautious about buying things in recyclable containers.

Diggerdee .. If you haven't located the mop cloths, look for microfiber. I found some at WalMart (I know, but it's convenient). They were cheap, like maybe $1/ea, they fit perfectly on the Swiffer head that I somehow inherited, and they're machine washable. I, too, refuse to use once-n-toss products. A roll of paper towels will last me at least a couple of months. I have a whole separate soapbox about antibacterial everything, but I won't go there now.

Keep the good ideas coming!

• steve_o
    17 years ago

Those plastic grocery bags are the bane of my existence, lol! I don't know how many times I've had a clerk at the store give me four bags when I'm only buying five items!

There is one local chain at which the bags contain what must be the minimum amount of plastic allowed by law. There is no way in the world a bag from that store would carry all you could fit in it unless you were buying smooshy white bread.

And besides, will chicken wrapped in plastic wrap really contaminate my canned vegetables? Sheesh.

It won't, though it might leave juices which could soak the paper labels and attract vermin in storage. But the main reason it's done, IMHO, is that bagging groceries is considered a mindless task. I notice that the frozen food usually is spread out among several bags, like items are placed in separate bags, and only sometimes is attention paid to the fragile stuff so it gets packed on top. No offense to grocery people here, but most baggers seem to want to get the job done as quickly as it can be. :-(

I'm considering an electric razor, that would mean no more throw away razors and cans of shaving foam in the bin. I just have had bad experiences with electric razors in the past.

There is another alternative. There still are companies out there making non-disposable metal double-edge safety razors and blades. Shaving cream does not have to come in a can -- it can come in a tube or a tub (the tub can be reused; neither uses propellant). The blades? They're just metal; they can be recycled if stored safely. I've been shaving this way for several months now and don't miss my old (expensive) cartridge razor or canned foam at all.

Here is a link that might be useful: Traditional shaving

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    17 years ago

steve, not necessarily disagreeing with you, but to show the basis of my "meat in plastic" theory, I've had clerks ask me three times in disbelief if I'm sure I don't want my meat put in a separate plastic bag. I always have to reassure them that I will not die of salmonella! It takes me approximately 7 minutes to get home from the grocery store - the meat most likely sat in the cart with the other groceries for at least three times longer than that already.

Don't ya love it when you get a bag stuffed with every five-pound can of tomatoes/vegetables you bought that day, and then another full of toilet paper and bread? In the old days, when I was a kid and we bagged our own groceries, my mom showed me how to put a few heavy things in the bottom, and then lighter stuff on top, making the bags evenly weighted. Maybe my mom should do some supermarket training, lol!

Oh well, I'll stop now before I turn this thread into a list of pet peeves, lol!

More on topic, thanks aok, for the tip on the microfiber. I just happened to see some microfiber cloths last night I may buy. What I'm really looking for is one of those old-fashioned "dust-mops" - all I can find by way of mops is the flat kind. I'm looking for the kind that you can reach into ceiling corners and behind furniture with. Not that I do that kind of intensive house-cleaning all that much to begin with...

bry84, Tom's of Maine makes a nice shaving cream in a tube. Not foamy, and takes a bit of getting used to, but kind of nice when you do get used to it (although the tube is not recyclable, I believe). Just be careful you don't get it mixed up with your toothpaste, lol!

Dee

• althea_gw
    17 years ago

The only thing I can add to the list is buying things in bulk, re-using your container when we refill it. Steve & I are lucky to have so many co-ops where re-using containers is almost expected, in fact some still charge for the new bags they have available if you forget to bring one. We can get lots of food - rice, cereal, coffee and so on, as well as refills of Dr. Bronner's and a couple of other laundry and cleaning soaps in bulk.

• naplesgardener
    17 years ago

I am curious-has anyone read a book/article that lists the greatest "offenders" in household waste? I only buy a newspaper once a month (read them online), use flourescent bulbs, replace appliances with EnergyStar when necessary, etc.
    What are the top landfillers?
    My guess here in Florida is yard material because things grow fast here. Is there somewhere that lists the Top Ten ways you can recycle/conserve at home?
    P.S. Just saw "Living with Ed" on HGTV. It's a hoot in the wasteland of TV. They haven't tackled recycling yet unless I missed it.

• pitimpinai
    17 years ago

I made grocery bags out of those sturdy 50 lb plastic rice bags. Hem the rim, add handles made of scrap materials, sow the bottom corners crosswise. Voila, a beautiful and sturdy reusable shopping bag. They are the size of those brown paper grocery bags. I just have to remember to put them back in the car after each shopping trip.

We also use those plastic grocery bags to line our garbage cans. I have never bought garbage bags to use in the house.

I collect all milk jugs, juice jugs and any large plastic containers and use them to sow seeds.

I compost all food scraps or bury them in the garden.

My son is almost 18 y old now, but I saved all his cloth diapers and use them as rags around the house. My husband likes to throw them away---making me mad about that. :-( We don't see eye to eye re recycling everything possible.

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    17 years ago

pitmipinai, I just saw your post regarding diapers on the paper towel thread - so your "baby" is a teenager too, huh?! LOL!

My DH doesn't see things the same way as I do either - although I have sold him completely on composting now. He just doesn't do things as second nature as I do. Just this morning he was making homefries and I followed him and picked onion peelings out of the garbage and put them in the compost bucket.

That was kind of surprising, since he's really good with food scraps. But I am constantly taking out recyclable things from the garbage can. He always says, sheesh, it's one can, and I always say, if every person in this country took just one can out of a garbage can today and recycled it, just think of the difference it would make.

It is my life goal to get him to stop using those %$#&*! plastic grocery bags! My first step, though, is to stop getting him to throw them away, at least, and put them in the recycle bag. Out local store does take them back to recycle, but I would prefer he not use them at all.

Gee, my kids are much more trainable than he is, lol!
    Dee

• merrygardens
    17 years ago

I'm enjoying reading the good ideas, many of which we do, and several good new ones I'll strive to incorporate into my lifestyle!

A little philosophical reflection: our society seems based on a 'throw-away' mentality. After all, if you buy new stuff all the time, use stuff once, throw it out, replace it, redecorate, etc. that means people have jobs and the economy grows. And no one seems to think (apart from us inveterate recyclers, reusers, refusers) that economic growth at the expense of the environment isn't worth it, and is in fact, bad! I can't get past this and it gets me down sometimes.

• flora_uk
    17 years ago

Bry - my husband has never got on with an electric razor. He gets a dreadful rash. He wet shaves using a razor that takes just a disposable blade and uses traditional shaving soap with a brush to lather it. It comes in a cardboard box, not a pressurised gas filled can. I suppose even that could be improved on if he got himself a cut throat and a leather strop, but I'm not sure he's brave enough.

I also use cotton shopping bags and refuse plastic bags at the checkout. I have not yet had the courage to leave packaging at the checkout. I get my vegetables delivered by the local market gardener, but that is a very lucky break as I have taught all his kids. What about a veg box scheme?

Things like rice I get loose at the local long-haired hippy shop at a fraction of the price of the supermarket.They also take any plastic bags back that I inadvertently get given.

I compost all food prep debris and use all leftover food in meals. Not there are many if you have a teenage son.

I also cultivate a non-interventionist approach to houswifery. If it's not a health hazard I tend to leave it. Saves a huge amount on cleaning products. I most certainly do not live in a tip but cleaning can become silly.

I presume you already put out everything your local authority will take for recycling. Here that includes paper, glass, cans, foil, cardboard, plastic bottles, garden rubbish, batteries, spectacles, shoes, clothing, oil, mobiles, printer cartridges and books. Old clothes go to a charity shop.Old furniture I put out on the pavement with an invitation to 'help yourself'. It always disappears in a day or two.

The three of us barely fill 1/3 a bin bag a week now.

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    17 years ago

..."I also cultivate a non-interventionist approach to houswifery. If it's not a health hazard I tend to leave it. Saves a huge amount on cleaning products..."

LOL, Flora! My kind of gal! I actually take the same approach - I just never thought of it as "taking an approach" in an environmental sense, lol. Now I won't feel guilty about not cleaning the house!

Sounds like you've got a great recycling program in your area. That list of what your city/town takes is amazing. We had to wait several years just to get them to take cardboard and junk mail here.

Dee

• bungalowbees
    17 years ago

Heard part of a report on NPR (yesterday?) about mercury leaking when fluorescent bulbs are mistakenly placed in regular trash. Apparently this is hazardous waste and a threat to workers & landfills. How do all of you dispose of fluorescent bulbs? How far must you go to dispose? Is this a once a year trek or is there a simpler solution in your community? Do most folks know fluorescent bulbs shouldn't go into trash?

I have to admit this is the one glaring problem in our house. It's painstakingly restored with original & reproduction lights, I just haven't brought myself to put high-tech bulbs in the pendants & sconces... Are there newer, gentler bulbs for me to try? (Luckily we have few lights & use them cautiously. Still, that's not good enough.)

As to the original question, we do all the obvious things here but the most difficult is questioning packaging before purchase. Many items are over-packaged, even simple basics. (ie TP wrapped individually inside a big plastic wrap)

BTW, the places I buy groceries assume I have my own bag or simply don't need one. A nice sign of the times, I think.

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    17 years ago

"Heard part of a report on NPR (yesterday?) about mercury leaking when fluorescent bulbs are mistakenly placed in regular trash. Apparently this is hazardous waste and a threat to workers & landfills. How do all of you dispose of fluorescent bulbs? How far must you go to dispose? Is this a once a year trek or is there a simpler solution in your community? Do most folks know fluorescent bulbs shouldn't go into trash?"

In the Mpls area, there is a disposal site where you can take your bulbs, but it's about 10-15 miles from my home. They also take any garden chemicals and other hazardous stuff you may want to get rid of. I don't go through many fluorescent bulbs in a year, so right now I'm been storing my used ones in the basement. Since these can be so hazardous, I wish there was an easier solution to getting rid of them. I know most people simply break them up and toss them in the trash because it's too inconvenient to dispose of them the right way.

K

• squeeze
    17 years ago

naplesgardener "... list the greatest "offenders" in household waste"
    for household waste, the yard waste probably is the biggest offender, but that should be going to a composting facility - the real culprit in the general waste stream is packaging, including all the wooden pallets our goods are trucked around on, which usually don't go back to get re-used, but could easily be ground up and used in commercial composting as well

Here is a link that might be useful: top 10 ways to help the planet

• steve_o
    17 years ago

In the Mpls area, there is a disposal site where you can take your bulbs, but it's about 10-15 miles from my home. They also take any garden chemicals and other hazardous stuff you may want to get rid of.

Interesting, aachenelf. In St. Paul (just across the river from Minneapolis for you non-Twin-Citians), there is a central disposal site for the county, as you mention. But in summer, there are temporary satellite collection sites as well. They are open to neighborhood residents for specified times (weekends for one month, for example) and will accept most of what the central site will accept. It makes it easier to recycle when you don't have to travel so far.

• stuffz7ar
    17 years ago

Great suggestions. A big waste reducer for me has been making the switch from disposable menstral products. Lunapads.com has some great, although initially expensive, products. Great customer service, too. Many people make there own, also

• girlndocs
    17 years ago

I second the reusable menstrual products. If you're a tampon gal, maybe a sea sponge (www.seapearls.com) or a cup like the Keeper or Diva Cup would work best; apparently you can also clean & reuse "Instead" cups, instead (hee!) of throwing them out.

I really like my Swiffer and my Clorox Ready Mop. Now, hear me out ... I had to buy them with the full complement of worthless disposable cloths and disgusting cleaning liquid, but now I use pieces of old towel and refill the Ready Mop with a solution of Dr Bronner's and water.

Plus, the regular Swiffer cloths (never tried the mopping-type ones) can be washed in your machine, line dried and reused up to 5 times each!

Composting is too much trouble for me so I keep a gallon coffee can in the kitchen for my scraps and then bury them in empty spots in the garden to feed the worms -- vermicomposting in situ.

I learned to wintersow and save/trade for seeds, which reduces the resources used to grow, package and transport nursery plants and seeds.

One last thing, you may think I'm nuts, but we use cloth toilet paper. It was the logical next step once we cloth diapered our second baby. I cut old flannel sheets into 8" squares with pinking shears and they go in a wastebasket after they're used and we wash them in hot water (we have a frontloading washer that's very water efficient) and anyway, a thorough trip through the dryer or a thorough drying in the sun both kill most any beasties you can imagine.

Kristin

• bry84
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Flora, thanks for the suggestions, particularly about the safety razor. They're not something I've seen before, but they look good so I ordered one over the weekend.

And yes, I recycle everything that I can recycle locally. It does help a lot, but part of the problem is even if we recycled 100% of our waste in this country, the amount we produce is just not sustainable.

Anyway, I have found a few new ways to reduce waste around our house.

I'm going to start buying coffee in the big round card tins, the paper/card part can be composted and the metal ends recycled. I'm also sure these packets use less resources and energy than making glass jars.

I also use bar soaps around the house for hand washing and bathing. The liquid products contain a lot of water so run out fast, and they're mostly synthetic ingredients that aren't very biodegradable, not to mention the large amounts of plastic packaging. Bar soaps are much more biodegradable, they're solid soap so last a long time, and they come wrapped in a small piece of recyclable paper.

Another useful way to reduce packaging, water pollution and save money is to quit using those special toilet cleaner liquids. Again, they're full of water so waste packaging and energy in transport, not to mention the vast amount you have to pour down the toilet each time you use them. I've found that cheap store brand washing up liquid works really well, perhaps half a tablespoon full scrubbed around. Soda crystals are also excellent and reasonably environmentally benign too.

However, we still need to find more ways to reduce waste as we're still throwing away plenty of it.

• postum
    17 years ago

Wow - a lot of good tips. I would never have thought of cloth toilet paper - my 7yo dd uses half a roll every time she pees. I'm definitely going to try that one out.

I don't usually have enough of darks/lights to separate the wash so I just put everything together and wash in cold. Looks okay to me!

We flush the toilet as little as possible - a drought habit that stuck. (Also have a big old rock in the tank to reduce water use.)

I have an old vacuum that uses bages. Although it says "Do Not Re-Use Bags" on them, I always empty the bag into the compost and use it again - I've had them last for six months. Then the bag goes in the compost too!

I use Dr. Bronner's soap (usually greatly diluted) for just about everything (hands, dishes, clothes, general cleaning.) Eucalyptus is my favorite. I can get in bulk and just keep reusing the bottle.

I have a few LED nightlights throughout the house - that way we can navigate around the house at night without switching on all the lights along our path.

Hardest part is getting dh NOT to buy the "handi-pack" things for dd's lunch box. He's a fan of convenience foods :-(

• macbirch
    17 years ago

Many years ago I used to be able to wash everything except woollens together. One red blouse was marked wash separately but one day it accidentally went in with everything else and no harm was done so of course I stopped washing it separately after that. These days the labels seem so much more cautious. For example I haven't seen a nice polyester blouse that can be machine washed in years, and I used to have a wardrobe full of them. I risked buying a polycotton jumper that was marked handwash only because the saleslady said that only applied to the ones with the fancy trims and the plain ones would be fine in the machine. Turned out to have a serious problem with colourfastness.

So recently I was saying to a young saleslady that it used to be easier to buy clothes and who has the time (and water!) to do all that separate washing and handwashing. She said helpfully that she throws everything in the machine, some things in a delicates bag, and although they do wear out fast it's okay because for the price she can regularly replace them. Wow, I had clothes I used regularly for twenty years!

• flora_uk
    17 years ago

I suppose this question can be as broad as our imaginations really. For example, reducing waste also means reducing our wasteful use of power. I am rather hypocritical here. I doubt if I would ever decide to hand wash all the laundry I'd rather give up my stove than my dishwasher. But tnere are lots of ways of trimming electricity and gas (I mean gas, not petrol!) consumption. Each one individually sounds a bit nit picking but together they must mount up. For example, I do not use any electical gadgets such as coffee grinders, blenders, toothbrushes, juicers, can openers, knife sharpeners or carving knives. They seem to me just ways of persuading us to buy STUFF, and most of them take ages to clean up after use. An added bonus is that beating your sauce with a wooden spoon and sharpening your knives on a steel take your energy and exercise your arms. And we are all too sedentary and under exercised these days. We buy coffee in bulk as beans. It arrives in brown paper bags and and we grind it in a very pretty hand grinder from the 40s. I am also a big fan of the pressure cooker and the steamer. The latter lets you cook two or three vegetables over one gas flame. I find my hand turned Mouli sieve/blender quicker and quieter than an electric blender, which has scalded me in the past and only takes a small amount at a time. Like postum, I reuse the vacuum bags for months before composting them.

• postum
    17 years ago

Flora - that is so true! I got my old hand juicer at a yard sale and it works great. I think it is really smart to look at all the little electrical things we have and reevaluate them.

Another thought - I have hear that items that run on remote control (TV, DVD, video, etc.) suck up energy even when they are turned off. it is recommended to put these on a power strip and turn the whole strip off after use.

I haven't done this yet, and it means buying another power strip. I often wonder about the trade off of buying something "green" - I mean, does the energy (and $$) saved from putting in the power strip excede the amount expended? What if you have a perfectly good non-Energy Star fridge? SHould you get rid of it? I really don't know. I've heard that it is is "greener" to throw out your old light bulbs and replace them immediately with CFC...but I have to admit that I wait for them to burn out before replacing.
    Maybe I'll start a new thread on this...

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    17 years ago

Postum, I was thinking of starting a new thread on the very same topic. I've got an 18-year-old washer that still works, but I know there must be more efficient models now. I'm trying to decide which is the lesser of two evils - continue to run the old one and keep it out of the landfill, or buy a new, efficient one and junk the old one!

Dee

• tsdelvis
    17 years ago

I keep hearing you guys (reading you guys, duh) comment about Dr. Brunner's cleaner. I've never heard of it, but it must be good from what I'm reading. Is it organic? Where can I get it and is the cost comparable to other cleaners?

Thanks!!

• althea_gw
    17 years ago

Tsdelvis, below is a link to Dr. Bronner's website. We buy it at the co-op where we can also get refills. There are some organic ingredients used.

Here is a link that might be useful: dr. bronner

• aok27502
    17 years ago

Dee,

I don't know anything about new appliances, but if you can justify getting something new (because I need/want/deserve it) and the old is still good, I'll bet there are plenty of people who would take it. Craig's List, Freecycle, Salvation Army. I know when I was first on my own (lo, these 100 years ago), I would have given my eye teeth for a functional washer!

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    17 years ago

Hi aok,

Yes, I would most likely offer it on Freecycle, but my question is, if it's good enough to let someone else use it, should *I* continue to use it? I guess what I'm trying to ask is, what's better environmentally, to let the old washer continue to run at its old inefficient level,(whether in my house or someone else's, lol) or to buy a new one?

BTW, I'm pretty darn cheap, (or so my husband is always telling me, lol) so I probably *can't* justify buying a new one till the old one completely dies! Unless, of course, someone could convince me that a new one is sooooo much better for the environment. Of course, then I would not want to junk the old one, and if I'm going to let someone else use it, then why don't *I* just keep it...

Boy, I drive myself crazy, lol!
    Dee

• aok27502
    17 years ago

Ahhhhhhhhhhh, I think my head hurts! :-)
    I'm cheap, too, and it would take a lot to get me to spend money on new appliances "just because".

• bry84
    Original Author
    17 years ago

We have what must be one of the first automatic washing machines made. Obviously it has no energy rating, it's from the late 70's I think, but I have to argue that it is particularly energy wasting.

One of these days I will have to turn everything else off and run the machine on our normal cycle, which is just 30 degrees and lasts about 40 minutes to see how much the electric meter advances. I would doubt it consumes a large amount of energy however, and we only ever wash when it's full.

I don't have the exact maths, but I'm planning on keeping the old machine, it cleans perfectly and doesn't seem to be consuming that much energy. I also fear that a new machine won't be as reliable or easily repaired, so we may end up getting on the replacement after replacement train that so many people are on these days. Making new things consumes a lot of energy, and so does throwing them away, not to mention the landfill space. When I visit the local dump I see huge piles of broken appliances, and over 90% of it is much newer than the stuff I use daily at home.

I honestly can't remember the last time I threw anything big away. The only appliance in here that is much newer than the early 90's is my computer, and even that has been upgraded rather than totally replaced over the years. I'm still typing on my first keyboard from 1993, and using my monitor from 2001 (but it's a 19" CRT, so not low energy). However, throwing things away is a bigger threat to our environment and personal finances than keeping things we've already invested money and resources in.

• bry84
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Just a quick update about the rubbish, we are now finally making less of it. A large amount of that improvement is from trying ideas suggested here, but also better sticking to my own ideas as well. It's too easy to come up with a good idea then forget all about it.

I'm definitely going to have to start composting my old vacuum cleaner bags now. I've also had good results from composting cotton clothing that is worn out. I did a t-shirt a while ago, and when I emptied the compost bin there was no trace of it.

Another discovery, which may have been mentioned before in this thread (kind of long for me to just check now, although I intend to re-read it all soon) is super concentrate products. Combined with larger packet sizes these can really cut back on packaging. I have also found that the more expensive items can normally justify their greater expense by actually providing more useful product. For example, I buy the large 500 ml dermalogica face wash bottles. They're not cheap and it's a high quality product, but the final cost is very reasonable as a little goes a long way and that bottle will last about a year.

Anyway, thank you all again for your excellent suggestions, do keep sharing them!

• steve_o
    17 years ago

super concentrate products. Combined with larger packet sizes these can really cut back on packaging

I would recommend doing a bit of research, though, on the product to make sure it will be "good" for as long as you'll have it around. Products like dishwasher detergents can become less effective over several months; if you've laid in a year's supply, you may end up using more of it, getting a poorer cleaning job, or disposing of it because it no longer works. It's a great idea -- one I use myself -- but I'm careful to only buy in such sizes products which are relatively inert.

• Carol_from_ny
    17 years ago

One thing everyone has over looked is the power of the pen. I strongly suggest writting either by snail mail or e-mail manufactures and complaining about the over packaging of products. One voice won't make alot of difference BUT many voices will speak volumes.

Someone who doesn't have room for a compost pile or has awful winters might want to look into having a worm bin. If you're into fishing the worms make good bait too.

At our house we don't rake up the grass clippings we leave them lay. As they break down they help the lawn fertilze itself. Saves us time too not raking.

Proper landscaping not only makes your home look good but it can help keep cooling and heating cost down. THINK before you plant or cut down a tree about the effect of it on your heating or cooling bill.

We use the water from our dehumidifier to water my indoor plants. We have to use the dehumidifier to keep the basement dry. The water is good seems silly to let it just go down the drain.

I drink alot of tea during the day. I make enough hot water at one time to fill a thermos. Usually keeps it hot enough to make several hot cups of tea thru out the day. Saves gas and time.

• naplesgardener
    17 years ago

We've managed to reduce our kitchen trash volume by composting veggies, tea & coffee waste, egg shells, etc. It me some time to figure out that my small yard could not do a compost pile per se but I'm devoting a section of the garden to burying the kitchen waste. I use a plastic ice cream tub to collect the kitchen waste bits and before it gets smelly take it out to bury.
    This really cuts down on trash volume and we now empty the kitchen bag MUCH less frequently. BTW we have 2 bins in the kitchen: one for recyle and one for non-recycleable trash.

Denise in FL

• sjerin
    17 years ago

Regarding disposal of fluorescents, I live in California and Orchard Supply Hardware accepts them for recycling/disposal. Surely other hardware stores do the same?

• girlndocs
    17 years ago

I bury my kitchen scraps/"compost" too but not in one spot -- each gallon Folgers can full goes in a new spot in my raised veggie beds. It only takes a stab with the shovel and then pulling the dirt and mulch back into place over that spot, afterwards. I think of it as vermicomposting in situ.

Kristin

Sponsored
More Discussions