SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
girlgroupgirl

What do you grow around your ponds edge...

girlgroupgirl
17 years ago

I just put in a pot pond, thanks to a friend who brought me all the supplies needed to do so!!! I have water plants (although I need a pink LA iris :)...but I am wondering what else to plant around the pond edge that is evergreen. The soil around the edge is not particularly moist at all times, and my prefered flower color is pink. I'm also using purple foliage plants...

So far the farthest corner away from the pond has a purple leaf physocarpus, beside that is a gardenia, at their feet is a variegated pittosporum. That is all on the farthest corner.

I put some ajuga around the back of the pond, and am thinking about a plant to put behind it. It needs to be evergreen...maybe cast iron plant?

So mainly it's smaller plants I am not sure of. I planted sedum angelina which can take more moisture than some sedum, and interplanted that with purple triangularis oxalis.... but I need more evergreen plants. I'm looking to find some things I do not alread have. I bought a few native plants that like moisture which can be used, but they will all die back, and are not super low growing.

Haven't done this before, and don't have many references. When I search for plants for ponds edge etc. mainly I get marginals and plants suitable for pond shelves. During drought, this area would be drier. Nothing submerged. The only time it would get more water is if it rained and the pond overflowed a bit...

THANKS!

GGG

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz