SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
crueltyfre

streps and heat

crueltyfre
14 years ago

After reading how easy and great streps were, I took the plunge and bought two. They are slowly going downhill. I have multiple issues going. First was tip browning, which, in episcias meant too dry, so I started watering more. Then I got leaf droop, so I stopped watering. Even though I put them in half perlite/half av potting mix, I repotted one with even more perlite. I had them in a windowsill so then tried them under lights. Either the leaves are up and browning at tips, or they're drooping down with brown tips. New leaves try to emerge but never make it.

I finally was sick of trying to fix them and took the worse one and stuck it outside on a shelf and said it was on it's own. It took no more than a day or two for it to die. The second is still inside but following the same decline.

After even more research, the conclusion I'm coming to is heat. The various sites say never over 80 degrees. I live in Tampa, if it's 79 degrees outside it's winter. My a/c is set higher than that.

Are these plants that temp sensitive? Any thoughts on what else it could be? If they're so easy, why am I having such a hard time with them? Thanks in advance for any input,

Lori

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert