SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
az1969

Starting from scratch... Advice, please

az1969
18 years ago

So. We've bought a 10 year old house that pretty much has nothing but crab- and chick-weed infested St Augustine and beds around the house. In November, with my parent's help, we moved somethings around, and the front is looking pretty decent.

Now I'm suddenly tired of thise huge expanse of bad lawn and I want to reduce, reduce, reduce.

Here's the plan.

1) Rent sod cutter. (I don't have enough newspaper for the lasagne method, and I'm not sure that solarizing will kill the turf.)

2) I know it's terribly late, but start some perennials from seed. I can't afford to buy enough plants, and I don't mind planting small, as long as I'm not hurting them by planting them small in the Georgia coastal Summer.

3) Once sod cut, till some shredded dried leaves and as much compost/mulch as I can afford into the main bed I plan to plant this year.

4) Plant something like a bean crop into the other beds and use them to condition the soil for planting in August/September.

5) While seedlings are growing solarize main bed, or cover with weed retarding fabric and get bed into best possible condition.

The soil here is lousy.

I'm a total novice. On a budget.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

TIA

Alison

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21