SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
destin3g99

Ideas for Landscaping Plants

destin3g99
15 years ago

DH and I moved into a 5 year old home last fall. The front, back, sides all need a lot of help and I have no idea what to do. I want to start with the front as it looks horrid.

We don't have much choice in the front because of the HOA and have to work inside the already mulched areas. Between the house and the sidewalk that goes from the driveway to the front door is a mulched area with retaining bricks. Then in front of the front porch is another large area that is mulched with retaining bricks. In these areas at the back are large bushes, not sure of the name they get pink pom-pom like flowers on them in the spring. They're kind of all over the place looking instead of a neat tidy bush. We have cut them back a little to keep them at a decent height.

In front of them is a sparse scattering of these puny little bushes that don't come anywhere near filling in the rest of the space. They almost look like some sort of holly, they get little red berries in the fall/winter. I hate them and plan to move them to the side or back of the house either that or burn them.

Anyway, I'm new to the south and need ideas for some sort of bush/shrub to place in front of the pink pom-pom bushes. I was thinking azaleas, but I'm wondering if they will get to tall and cover up the bushes behind them (they're around 3-4 feet). I don't mind if it's something that needs pruned, I just don't want to kill them by pruning too much. I would like something flowering,& interesting. Or maybe something that grows in a tighter formation in contrast to the pom-pom bushes? In front of the azaleas I was planning to put in a short decorative grass to kind of spill over the border a little. Maybe some bulbs or flowers in between the flowers and grass if there is room.

Comments (9)

Sponsored