SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hugematergrower

how can you get huge potatoes

hugematergrower
16 years ago

I guess potatoes aren't popular since i have found little info on the subject but here's what i have found and done so far.

seed piece size is directly related to potato size small individual eyed seed piece is supposed to yield scant few but extra large potatoes.

Kennebec is supposed to get the largest.

potatoes thrive in horse manure.

one eye to a hill

supply extra calcium i did this with bone and blood meal at planting.

the plants will be flowering in a week or two but i hilled them this year instead of mulching with leaves and straw because i had too many green ones. I haven't given any supplementary fertilizer yet and rain along with the moisture retention of horse manure has kept them moist

last year with standard 3 eyes to a hill yielded nice double fist size any fertilizer tips or techniques would be appreciated scab is not a concern since i'm not selling them

but hollow heart wouldn't be good. i never had either last year and used an 8-32-16 banded fertilizer at planting but don't think it did much since this year's stand is about the same with the bone and blood meal. i'm trying to go organic but im not against inorganic if it's neccessary

Comments (9)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor