SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aloha2009

Zone 5 Daylily Beds

aloha2009
12 years ago

I've grown the "standard" daylily before. Standard being the typically one, I see at every street corner around town (yellow with a little orange). Someone had given me several starts and that was my introduction (and end) for that yard.

We have since moved and we will have 2 large (4' x 35') flower beds that will be next to patios and the major gardening focal point of my back yard (xeriscaping). We live on a lake and love the fountain like leaves when not in bloom and LOVE many of the flowers it can produce. Learning that there are 40,000 varieties out there it is overwelming to pick something.

Should I combine many different daylilies or go with one spectacular variety (I like simple)?

What other kinds of GREAT flowers (long blooming and fragrant) complement daylilies? Would you have only daylilies or a combination of various flowers?

What daylilies bloom the longest (please give me an idea of how long they bloom and when)?

What daylilies have a wonderful fragrance (hopefully I will find some on both lists)?

How many would I need to purchase to get an area this size to be full in five years?

If it's not too much to ask, please include your pictures if you have any. Thank you in advance for all of your help!

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Miller Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Franklin County's Trusted Custom Cabinetry Solutions