SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
christinmk

Silver & Gold

Well I don't know about you guys, but I feel in the mood for sharing and looking at pictures in these already dreary winter days. ;-)

Sometimes my mind goes in strange places, particularly if I haven't had much sleep, lol. Anyhoo, the other night I was channel surfing on the ol' tv and came across Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer while Burl Ives (aka the Snowman ;-) was singing 'Silver and Gold'. Naturally that got me to thinking about silver and gold in the garden. LOL!

I'm not sure it always looks that great, but I do have the tendency to plant some silver and gold foliage plants together. I guess I am oddly attracted to it!

Here is the silvery green foliage of Heucherella 'Kimono' and the gold of Filipendula ulmaria 'Aurea':

{{gwi:193861}}

Heucherella 'Alabama Sunrise' and the gray-silver foliage of Ballota acetabulosa:

{{gwi:193859}}

There is quite a bit of silver/blue and gold/chartreuse in my back shade and patio garden. Gold hostas, golden millet, 'Jack Frost' silvery Brunnera, silvery purple and green Japanese Painted Fern ('Pictum'), blue oat grass, blue hostas, etc.

{{gwi:236901}}

This fall I also found myself pairing a few more silver and gold plants together. The Pulmonaria 'Majeste' a garden bud from GW sent me was moved next to a gold and green variegated Filipendula ulmaria 'Variegata' at the edge of the shade garden. I also put some newly raised Salvia argentea (with huge, fuzzy silver leaves!) next to another patch of the Filipendula 'Aurea'. Will be interesting to see how those couplings turn out. ;-D

Couple years ago I also had a goldenrod paired with a 'Silver Mound' Artemisia that I liked a lot. Can't quite remember what happed with that. Either the Artemisia died or I moved it...somewhere, LOL. I don't doubt that there are also some silver and gold leaf dead nettles running together in the alley garden too...

How about you my Cottage peeps? Do you have any Silver & Gold combos in your garden? If not, what are some of your favorite plants with silvery foliage and gold flowers or foliage?

All pics welcome by the way;-)

CMK

Comments (10)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH