SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lauriewood_gw

My inspiration

lauriewood
16 years ago

I was looking at my much neglected garden today (thanks to my 2 year old wild man), and I thought about a very influential person I have not remembered in a while. I used to live in a ramshackle part of Wilmington, NC. I was in my mid to late 20s, and dabbled in gardening at my rental home (vegetable plot, incredibly unorganized annual beds w/ unprepared soil) whenever not working 12 hour days as a grossly underpaid assistant on a tween television show. While walking my dog one day I saw a flurry of activity at a once empty and unremarkable home. Over the course of a few months, I watched the yard flourish from an ordinary patch of weedy lawn into a veritable oasis. I mean, this woman did the impossible. Full grown trees. Roses (No one had pretty roses in Wilmington!). Amazing color and texture combinations  you get the drift. The garden looked like it had been there for 20 years. A sign soon appeared advertising her landscape design service. I was a little jealous and a lot obsessed. I would ride my bike by and slow down, trying to identify the plants that performed so well there. I had seen beautiful gardens before, but had yet to witness the actual transformation of a plot of land. She made me realize what was possible. One day, as my dog and I were walking by, I saw her in the front. I sucked up my courage and introduced myself. She was so nice and so soul-baringly honest and matter of fact. She took my compliments well, but she also told me why she came to Wilmington. Her son had recently passed away  I believe he was in his late teens or early twenties. She followed her remaining daughter to Wilmington to help with the pain. She had been told that very day that her daughter was going to move to Portland Oregon. I think her frankness had to due with her disbelief and the freshness of this new insight. Soon after our talk, her house was put up for sale, and she was gone. My youth combined with childlessness gave me no perception into her world. But age and the birth of my son make me think of her and how incredible hard this time must have been, and I hope she is well. Although I do not remember her name, and we only met briefly, she had a huge impact  both in my gardening, and in appreciating my time with my new son Walker.

I guess the point of this too long disclosure is that we garden for our own satisfaction. But beauty holds incredible power. We do not know how or when or to what extent our little "patches of soil" affect other people. But I think it rarely has a negative effect. And the positive ramifications are abundant and further reaching than we may understand.

Comments (22)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths