SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
suzabad

Pomegranate planting/growing instructions needed

suzabad
16 years ago

My son loves pomegranates. When I was at a local nursery I saw they had some bushes for sale and noted that they weren't the miniature ones so I snatched up two before researching. After getting them, I noticed that many here advise against that variety ("Wonderful")...but I already have them so "oh well".

Of course it had the usual (not very helpful) growing instructions on the tag but I need something a little more specific.

I live in the Dublin/Laurens county area with heavy clay soil.

So I have a few questions....how far out from the tree, and how far down do the roots go per tree? I am planning on digging out 1.5 the width and 1.5 the depth of the root range for the area and only spot amend to soil. (we have a new construction....I haven't landscaped or amended any of the soil yet. So I am doing each plant or tree individually until we do the whole tract, probably this fall)

Secondly, what is the ideal soil type? I plan on adding clay back in...but since I will be preparing specifically for these plants I can buy whatever I need or move soil from the wooded area of the land.

Lastly, do I need a companion plant of a different variety for pollination?

As you can tell, I know little to nothing about growing pomegranates. (although I do have experience growing other types of trees) I am presuming that they are similar to other fruiting trees where 7 years is the magic number for starting to produce fruit (or fruit in any decent quality/quantity).

Any other info anyone can add will be appreciated.

Comments (2)

Sponsored