SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ts149

Need help with front lawn

ts149
16 years ago

Hi there,

My hubby and I are new to GA and to homeownership. We bought a lovely house right outside of Avondale Estates (near Decatur/Atlanta) and have been concentrating on prettying up the inside. The last owners didn't spend too much time on the outside of the house, and with the drought, our front lawn doesn't look as good as it could. Because neither one of us knew anything about gardening and because we were gone for about 2 months in the late summer last year, we contracted with a landscaping company. They were great, nice, and (i hope) reasonably priced at 150/month for weekly care.

well, it's finally spring and although the landscaper said he'd help with fixing up the lawn, we haven't heard from him in almost 2 months. We have a total water ban but I don't know what I am supposed to be doing. The lawn needs to be dethatched, and probably aerated. The boxwood hedges in the front have mostly died from last summer's drought. The pine needles look almost grey.

I don't know how to post a picture on the forum yet but hopefully this link to kodak gallery will work:

http://www.kodakgallery.com/ShareLandingSignin.jsp?Uc=c7ho1otm.a1qt5v36&Uy=fak7zh&Upost_signin=Slideshow.jsp%3Fmode%3Dfromshare&Ux=0.

We are thinking that we could do this ourselves but we have no gardening tools whatsoever and have a small sedan only. We are also paying down debts so have very limited funds.

My questions:

1. Should we hire someone to dethatch/aerate? Is this something to do now in march? Is this something we can do ourselves given our limitations?

2. Should we reseed? When? I think we have fescue but not sure!

3. The small boxwood hedges directly in front of the hedge are almost all dead. And both planting beds look like they have really hardened red clay. How do we amend? What are good replacements for the boxwoods that will withstand drought and heat (No shade whatsoever in front lawn). Are there any other plants to consider for color in combo with some green shrubs that will do with full hot sun?

4. Are pine straw the best to use? We have only a small car so are we just limited to bagged mulch?

5. Any nurseries/landscaper suggestions for good advice/help and affordable products?

I apologize if some of these questions seem silly but I've never ever done this before and really am interested in doing some of it ourselves. Is this something we should take on given the total water ban in Dekalb (only exception seems to be if it's prof new landscaped). If someone can tell me how to post a pic, i can attach too.

Thank you for taking the time to read and respond to this clueless newbie willing to give it a try!

Comments (10)

Sponsored