SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cehobbs_gw

Help! I think my new dwarf gardenias have winter kill.

cehobbs
13 years ago

Hi,

I am new to this board, I live in Alpharetta, GA. We just put in some new landscape and some new bermuda sod down in the fall, in mid Nov. Everything looks good, the sod is not yet greening up but our existing bermuda is not yet either, it is just not warm enough yet, I guess. I am not worried about the sod, at least not yet. If it does not green up when the rest does then I will.

my question is- I noticed that on our 7 dwarf gardenias, that were put in around a new crepe myrtle, the leaves had turned brown. On all 7 of the gardenias, that we just put in this past Nov. (about 5 months ago) have turned brown. There is some green still in the middle of each plant but very little, the leave just turned brown. my neighbor said it looks like winter kill.

Are they just gone, will I need to pull them out and put in new plants, or is there anyhting I can do for them? Can I prune the dead off? I read online that some winter kill in plants fixes itself with time, that the dead leaves will fall off as now ones come in. The rest of the plnats look great, the indian howthorne looks great, we put that up fonr too. The dwarf gardenias are up front, in our front yard and they are not crowded and get plenty of sun. If I could upload a pic I would of what they look like, it seems they turned fast too. Just worried as they are new plants, they have done great and we watered as we were told when we put them in, and did not show any signs of stress when we first put them in.

Thanks for your help,

Carrie

Comments (2)

Sponsored