SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
karenbrockman

What and how do I pinch???

karenbrockman
15 years ago

I posted under a different subject the other day and realized I should probably start my own subject, so if you read my other post, just ignore this one.

I have over 700 geraniums grown from seed...hubby got a little over zealous and now I'm determined to keep them all alive so we can sell them. Last year we had about 200 plants but we started them too late and I couldn't sell a plant when I was uncertain as to whether or not it would flower. They did and were gorgeous and HUGE, but they did have more foliage than flowers. Still very stunning.

So....this year we tried again and now I think we waited too long to pinch, but the problem is that I haven't a clue what to pinch, or if I'm to snip off the leggy leaves or what. And can I do it with my fingers or with regular household shears? (I hope so since I've already tried it on a few.) I've looked everywhere for step by step instructions with pictures that show exactly what and where to pinch, to no avail.

Some of the plants are leggy, some are fuller and some have HUMONGOUS dark green leaves and are really nice looking plants, but will they flower if there is so much foliage sucking the life out of the soil? They are all transplanted into 4" pots, where I'd like them to stay for selling purposes. I'm trying to keep them so the leaves aren't too crowded, but seriously, that is nigh to impossible with over 700 plants growing in a basement under grow lights. It's getting crowded in there. We put up portable greenhouses today but we aren't sure it's safe to put them in there yet because our weather is so unpredictable and I'm really not wanting to drag them in and out every night, as I did last year.....

Sorry this got so long. I feel like the clock is ticking and if I don't pinch/prune/whatever soon it will be too late and I'll have inferior plants. And if I don't do it, will it be the end of the world and will I still get flowers? Help, please!

Comments (5)

Sponsored