SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
essenceofeclectic

what is the season for growing vegetables from seed in Georgia?

essenceofeclectic
16 years ago

I currently live in Cape Coral Florida. I will be moving to Georgia in February. The city we'll be living in is called Brunswick. Unfortunately I don't know what the zip code is or what the gardening zone is. I am assuming it is similar to the gardening zone I live in now. I realize it is farther north than Florida, but I am assuming that the climate will be similar because while farther north, Georgia is still in the southern part of the United States. I am guessing it's roughly zone 9. What I would like to know is what is what time of year (example: Summer to Autumn; spring to summer, etc.)

is considered the best time to grow things so they won't die. If possible, would like a month range (March-Dec, May-October, etc.)

I would also like to know what type of vegetables can be grown in Georgia out of the list provided below:

*Green Beans

*Sugar Snap Peas

*Broccoli

*Bell Peppers

*Cucumber

*Romaine Lettuce

*Carrots

*Tomatoes

*spinach

*Onions (which type of onions grow best in Georgia; red or yellow?)

These are the herbs I would like to grow. Would like to know which of these can be grown in Georgia:

*Dill

*Parsley

*Cilantro

*Basil

*Lavender

*Mint

*Garlic (can garlic be grown in Georgia?)

*Sage (???; again can it be grown in Georgia?)

*Rosemary

What seasons in Georgia are considered ideal for cool weather crops? What seasons in Georgia are considered ideal to grow warm weather crops. I've never done a garden before but I know some vegetables/herbs grow best in cold weather and some vegetables/herbs grow best in hot weather.

I know that where I live it's best to grow vegetables and herbs in the winter and in early to late spring. I know that in summer it's the worst possible time to grow anything; it's just too hot for anything to grow well. Does this rule of thumb apply to Georgia or not?

Also what is the quality of soil for gardening in Georgia. Can you plant things and will they survive in the type of soil Georgia has, or is it recommended to do container gardening or to do raised beds?

Comments (6)

Sponsored