SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jakkom

Fall color in the SF Bay Area

jakkom
14 years ago

We actually do get a bit of fall color out here in coastal Northern CA--not much, but some. Chinese pistache and the standard liquidambers provide flaming red color, while others, like gingko, turn bright yellow. In my garden I have mostly maples of various types, and one dwarf variegated liquidamber. This year we've actually had enough cold nights (alternating with fairly warm days that keep the garden from freezing) to get some good fall color. Some years I hardly get any!

The dwarf liquidamber (sweetgum) is a beautiful yellow-and green variegated tree. It must be fairly cold-hardy, as there have been some warm autumns where it's hardly shown any fall color at all. This year, though, it's putting on a very nice show.

In its entirety:

{{gwi:764869}}
BTW, notice the pot on the RH side at the bottom of the tree? Those tall spikey leaves are freesias. We had an early heavy rain in October, and the freesias awakened early as a result. That growth is about a month early, so I hope we don't get any frosts that will set them back.

The liquidamber leaves turn bright yellow, and cold weather adds a red tinge to the edges. But many leaves stay green, so the tree is very colorful right now:

{{gwi:764870}}
{{gwi:764872}}

This being CA, the subtropical Tibouchina urvilleana is in bloom next to the liquidamber:

{{gwi:764873}}

A friend gave us this unnamed Japanese maple. I've seen this one in older neighborhoods and it gets quite large over time. Right now it's still a modest 7' tree. It turns color very late as it's in a protected site:

{{gwi:764874}}

We have a 'trash' silver maple in the backyard. They're not good trees for CA, for it seldom gets cold enough to spur the tree into turning those really vivid colors other regions get to enjoy. On the good side, we can grow plants outdoors like this jade plant, that are houseplants elsewhere! This year we got a few brilliant red leaves from the silver maple, and one of them got caught in the jade plant:

{{gwi:764877}}

This is the second year in the ground for this 'Sango Kaku' Japanese maple. Both years, warm temps in October/Nov have confused this plant into throwing out late green growth at the tops. But most of the tree is getting ready to pack it in for the winter:

{{gwi:764880}}

I love the dark red 'Emperor 1' Japanese maple. It has a graceful layered shape and is a vigorous grower. It also holds its color a bit longer than the traditional 'Bloodgood' variety. Here you can see how the dark red leaf color is turning into the more brilliant bright red from the cold nights:

{{gwi:764882}}
{{gwi:764884}}

Comments (8)

Sponsored