SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
quinnfyre

Alright, all you evil gardenia enablers...

quinnfyre
16 years ago

You are tempting me... tempting me! Even though I know it's not the best idea. Arrgh... but they smell so nice, and are so pretty when they're happy. Ok, so theoretically... if I were to get one...

Which variety is most commonly available in garden centers? Is it the veitchii? What conditions does it like, ideally? My parents had a tree, in the dining rm which had an east facing huge bay window, kept on the cooler side (that was the room with the thermostat, so the AC was always spot on in that room). It did really well there, bloomed frequently, sulked fairly often too, but not in any major way. The point is, they had it for years, may even still have it (haven't been back in a while) so I know it's possible.

I just have a feeling I don't have the right conditions for it. I have two filtered south facing windows, but the room can get quite warm (it's 80 right now). I have a west facing window downstairs, which may work better, as it stays cooler down there. But there is more traffic down there, both human and animal (dog, cat) and is likely to be moved around a lot to accommodate dinner parties. There is a south facing window there too, but it's right by the door and therefore is prone to drafts.

Ha, I think I'm trying to talk myself out of it. And maybe the orchids don't want to share the space : )

Comments (8)