SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
schoolhouse_gw

Birdhouse remodel underway

schoolhouse_gw
13 years ago

This is the birdhouse that sits high on a pole in my garden, well it DID sit there. Two men came this morning to dismantle it and one of them will recreate it as it must have looked originally.

My Uncle made the house in 1949 (according to the date scratched into the concrete at the base of the pole). For many years even when I lived here, a big standard crabapple tree nearby more or less protected it from the elements as the limbs nearly cradled the house. Obviously the tree was planted after the birdhouse was installed. One year lightning struck the tree and eventually it had to come down. This exposed the birdhouse plus without any maintenance from me, it slowly deteriorated to the state you see in the photo. Birds still occupied it every year, tho. There must have been years and years worth of birdnesting material in there, because there was a huge pile on the ground. I feel sorry I took away their cozy home right when cold weather is coming.

Ben will work on the house as a winter project, he is a woodworker who enjoys a challenge. And he promises it won't cost "an arm and a leg". We shall see. I have until Spring to save for it!

{{gwi:763268}}

Comments (28)

Sponsored