SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kawaiikoneko32

questions about growing melons in Georgia.......

kawaiikoneko32
16 years ago

This is in regards to growing melons. I plan to attempt to grow watermelon and cantaloupe from seed. I know that with watermelon you have to grow it in loam-type soil; soil that's sandy and is rich in nutrients. I'll be relocating to Georgia, and it has sandy soil; however it's deficient in nutrients.

I am guessing that I should use a mix of packaged soil (ex:topsoil) and the inherent sandy soil in Georgia?

What should be the ratio of sandy soil to packaged soil be when using it to sow the watermelon from seed (as in 1/3 sandy soil to1/2 sandy soil; this is merely an example).

Also can

watermelon and cantaloupe be grown in raised bed gardens?

If so how many watermelon seeds and cantaloupe seeds can I plant in one raised bed garden? I plan to do a separate

raised bed garden for the cantaloupe and watermelon.

What type of fertilizer should I use for cantaloupe and watermelon? I have heard you should use manure

as fertilizer for watermelon; is this accurate? I don't know what type of fertilizer to use in regards to growing cantaloupe.

I have also heard you're supposed to make hills for crops such as pumpkin, zucchini, watermelon, and cantaloupe? Is this an absolute necessity? If so, how do I create a hill

and how big should it be (specific with measurements please; inches or feet..........use length and width please).

Comments (2)

Sponsored