SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mlwgardener

Planting seeds???

mlwgardener
16 years ago

If everything continues on the right track, I should have many seeds to plant this fall. I started seed from my collections last year but the old brain has gone on vacation again! And I need some good advice from all of you.

Do I need to dry my seeds before planting? Do I need to give them a 3 week vacation in my refrigerator prior to planting? I've always started my seed in the trays with 72 cells in ProMix potting soil. I have pretty good luck with this, some as high as 100% germination that I bought last year from a wonderful Louisiana seller that shall remain unnamed so I can afford his great seed again this year. BUT! I would love to be able to plant in a 12oz red cup so I could skip the potting up step that I must do in about 3 weeks after planting into the 72 cell trays. This is a pain and if I don't keep these trays watered daily, then I get no germination at all.

I've seen photos of people planting into shoe box size container, but I've tried this with no luck at all. If there is a trick to this, please share???

Please give me advice and suggestions on your way of starting seeds. I know this has been said before, but it's just easier to ask you again than to search for last years answers, plus, you may have learned something new since last year!

Thanks to everyone, Mona

Comments (2)