SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
polyphemus

Figs rooting faster than I thought

polyphemus
12 years ago

After two years of trial and error trying to root figs and having little success I decided to try something new this year and have over accomplished I fear. The first year I tried the plastic bag method with no results and after 2 months I gave up. Early this year I just planted cuttings in pots with potting soil and compost and after 2 months I had 4 out of about 40 plants with roots that were too small to see but they survived planting so all was not lost. This year I put my cuttings in plastic shoe boxes with moist sphagnum moist and you'll never guess what happened.....well maybe you will. Expecting it to take 2 months or more to have any roots at all I was surprised when I peeked after 18 days and all of my cuttings had roots some up to 2 inches long. I expected to transplant them in the spring but I am worried they may need planting sooner. Will they over winter in these boxes on top of the fridge or do I need to pot them up sooner? I also planted a large group in 2 liter bottles and I am afraid they are way ahead of schedule too. Guess I should have waited. But the good news is that I still have back-up cuttings inside the fridge that I was holding in reserve in case these didn't pan out.

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!