SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hlyell_gw

Ray Givan - Fall, 2007, Crystal Springs, MS

hlyell
16 years ago

Hello all,

I had promised to summarize my notes and post it here after attending a function earlier in the fall. Well, better late than never, so here it is. There isn't really that much substance to what I actually wrote down, but it was interesting to me to hear ray talk about his experience with certain cultivars. Here's what I wrote up from my notes:

Ray GivanÂs seminar/slideshow

Southern Fruit Fellowship weekend

Crystal Springs, MS

Fall, 2007

Below are just a few of the helpful points Ray made. He generally presented a problem then followed this with a method of coping with the problem.

CLIMATE-RELATED:

Problem: lack of rain...solution: drip system

Problem: Early frost in fall...solution: force dormancy by withholding water/shed storage

Problem: Late frost in spring...solution: prayer

DISEASE:

Problem: Rust...Solution: pick up leaves so emerging new leaves arenÂt infected

Problem: FMV...solution: Sanitation

I only had one note written down regarding fertilizer, and it was osmocote WITH micronutrients.

Below are some cultivars Ray grouped into 3 categories ("favorites", "so-so" and "duds"), and I believe this is based on his experience with these cultivars in South Georgia. The presentation clipped along pretty quickly, but I donÂt think IÂve significantly misstated anything Ray said.

FAVORITES:

Hardy Chicago

Conadria

Hunt

Kadota

LSU Improved Celeste (ORourke)

LSU Purple

EV-Not (Early Violet  Not)

Neveralla

Nero (Barnisotte)

PatrickÂs Fig (PatrickÂs Super Giant)

SECOND TIER FAVORITES (I had these indented below the list above in my notes - but still under "Favorites"):

Barese White

Florentine

LSU Hollier

Lindhurst White

SalÂs

Texas Everbearing ("with amber flesh")

SO-SO:

Brown Turkey

Celeste ("drops fruit when very hot")

Excel

Osborne Prolific ("not a lot of figs")

Yvonne

DUDS:

Alma (I think I remember Ray saying his wouldnÂt produce significantly)

Brunswick

King

Negronne (I was surprised here)

Tena

Comments (7)