SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
luvplants

Saving Wilting Gartenmeister Transplants?

luvplants
17 years ago

I bought this pretty dark green, red underneath leaf fuschia which I believe is "Gartenmeister" from a lady who dug it up from her yard. She said it spreads by stolons. I've never heard that before. But sure enough, when dug up, it was connected to the mother plant.

At any rate, I failed to pot it up until the next day (I squirted it with a sprayer the first night) & leaves had begun to wilt before I potted it up. The next morning it had gotten a bit of sun and wilted further. Today was hot & dry, so I watered it again. Now the soil is soggy & one pot is glazed--am I suffocating it? If the single set of leaves at the top of the two plants completely dies, does the plant with a root have a chance of recovering? I've also have a single stem cutting that appears to be doing slightly better. So far I've cut back the leaves & used vitamin B for transplant shock. I just place the three smaller "cuttings" in plastic bags, but I'm afraid to put the largest one in the glazed pot, under plastic because I'm afraid it will rot. I'm not sure what to do with wilting stems attached to stolons.

I'm open to any suggestions. I'm also thinking of calling her up and asking for fresh cuttings & using the regular method for propagation. My other idea is to rip off the leaves & stick the roots where my japanese anenome, another stolon grower, was growing wildly. Although that got more sun on the South side of the house.

Comments (2)

Sponsored