SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
julianna_il

Crazy indoor setup - question about air circulation

julianna_il
14 years ago

This is going to sound really convoluted, and I can't blame anyone for saying "Geesh, wouldn't it be easier to just buy plants in the spring?" The answer to that in advance is yes.but there are veg varieties I grow that can't be found, plus I really love growing some plants from seed. It's part of my winter fun.

That said, I've got a nice setup in the basement, but the basement is just too chilly. It's got heat vents and is heated, but always stays cooler than the rest of the house. To get it warm enough, I'd have to crank the heat upstairs up to 90.

So some plants just don't grow like they should. I've compared tomato plants, for example, with my friend's (who grows hers in a bedroom), and we plant at the same time. Hers are always a lot bigger and more robust. The only variable is the temperature. Last year I tried using a hot water bottle, haha, but that's too cumbersome and didn't work anyway.

I'm not at all comfortable with putting a space heater down there. That would work, but an unattended heater makes me nervous.

So I've been playing with the idea of moving my lights upstairs, and I've got a good spot in a walk-in closet that I just use for storage. It would be perfect.

The catch? One of the cats. She's very feisty, probably ADD (seriously) and into everything. I cannot have plants upstairs (except hanging ones out of reach) because she frantically digs out all the dirt, tears up the plant and then rolls around in the dirt.

A setup like this would be a dream come true for her. There's no door on this closet, just a curtain, and she plays in the closet all the time.

So my choices are:

1. Get a piece of plywood and rig it as a door. The problem with that is it's going to tick her off because she already plays in there. She'll probably figure out a way to remove the plywood. (She's very smart and she can also flatten herself and get into places you can't believe.)

2. The option I'm ready to do: hang the lights from underneath a high shelf that's already there. Put another shelf underneath for the seedlings.

Just like that would be a perfect setup, but because she would see the peat pots, she would attack. So I thought I could rig a removable piece of plywood (using hooks from the established shelf, something like that) that would enclose the whole thing. From wall to wall. I hope this makes sense. It would close it off entirely, and I would build it when she's sleeping so she wouldn't even know.

I basically have the build in my head, and it wouldn't be that hard. I've probably even got plywood scraps that I could use, so it wouldn't even cost more than a few bucks for hardware.

Now after all of that, here's my question (sigh):

Basically the seedlings and light would be in a large box on a wall. The problem I'm seeing is there would be no air circulation. I was thinking I could get one of those tiny battery-operated fans that are a few dollars and put that in there, plus remove the "door" for a few hours when she sleeps. I could tend the seedlings at that time as well. I was also thinking I'd put a pot of cat grass in a box on the floor so she'd have something to munch on and dig in in case she smells the plants.

Has anyone had a crazy setup like this, or do you have any thoughts on the air circulation issue? Anything else I haven't thought of? I've been growing seedlings for about five or six years now, and I think I've got it down. I've learned how much water to use so I don't have problems with gnats or mold. My only issue is the temperature.

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Rodriguez Construction Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading Home Builders in Franklin County, OH