SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
small_sparrow

Winter tips for confused beginner

small_sparrow
15 years ago

Hi,

I planted a small fig Spring 07 and it grew to 5 ft so I planted it in a 4 ft garbage can in the fall. In Spring 08 I added 6 more, each in a 4ft can. They are on the north side of my parking pad (like a personal parking space/drive); there is a 6 ft fence just North of them (so they peek over the top in their 4ft 'pots' and my three story row house is to the east. The harbor is about a half-mile to my North and a quarter mile to my East. There is also a 5 ft fence on the south side of my parking pad but no trees are planted on that wall as a neighbor's cherry tree shades that side of my pad.

Last year I let my fig fend for itself in the winter and it did fine but now reading your website I am not sure what to do---do I need to wrap them (I don't want to, I'm lazy). If I do need to protect them more than just huddling them next to eachother, fence, and house, could I just throw a tarp loosely over them? My friend lives in the suburbs (zone 7) and is planning on taking his (in large ceramic pots) off his deck and into an unheated shed...also OK?

We are considering trying the method some have written about, and try to bury cuttings from all our trees in his yard...if I understand correctly, just pull off all leaves and any figs and bury in a trench...but do we wrap them or just toss on the dirt? How deep do we bury them? Could we bury them in window boxes that are placed in his shed (I have about a dozen 6" x 5" x 3' ones we could use)? could I put the window boxes in a sheltered area (between my house and my neighbors house) snow falls and sticks there (a little) but I think the air temp stays above freezing all winter?

I've now read two things about where the new figs grow--is it new or old wood? I don't think any of our trees get breba crops, and even if they did we'd sacrifice those, but would like to get the main crop. So say I cut back a branch, will figs form on the new wood that grows in the spring? Or will they only grow on wood that is a year old? how about older wood, 2 or three year old wood?

Sorry for all the questions, I tried reading other threads but it seemed everyone was far north of me, far south, or not living in a city microclimate.

Thank you for your help.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022