SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
steve_m50

Ficus carica leaves curling

steve_m
15 years ago

I bought a bare root brown turkey fig last spring and attempted to grow it outside. It apparently never got hot enough for the tree and it never leafed out, so in late August I yanked it out of the ground and threw it on the compost heap, but then I noticed some tiny green spots around the graft. The brown turkey portion of the tree was dead, but whatever F. carica was used for the root stock was trying to grow. I brought the tree indoors and put it in a pot, using dirt from my yard for the soil, since it drains well. The pot is now in a small room where I have a 350 gallon indoor turtle pond; the room stays in the 80s and is pretty humid, and there is a lot of light, albeit 100% artificial light. Since August, I've scraped off all but one of the suckers, so that I'll have a single trunk. The tree is now about 2 feet tall, but the leaves do not develop very much before they begin to curl and crumple. I pull the dying leaves off every few days, and only have a couple healthy-looking leaves on the tree at a time, none of them ever reaching 4" in length. Any ideas of why this would happen? Too wet or too humid? Needs fertilizer? Needs more light? Some kind of parasite?

Comments (8)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES