SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tina70_gw

Ideas for overwintering tomatoes & small shelters

Tina70
20 years ago

Has anyone tried to either extend a fall harvest of tomatoes,or tried to grow cold tolerant toms(like glacier,stupice,& Polar series)through the winter with protection? I'm not talking about having a big greenhouse either. I don't have a lot of space in my back yard at all,but would like to build something very small to put over the plants already in the ground in fall or plants put in really early in spring. Maybe even try to grow a cold variety in middle of winter! I don't get very many freezes in my area of TX and would like to experiment.Does anyone have any plans they can post of little shelters that slip over tomato plants? Maybe some pvc in a rectangle covered with plastic? Or small homemade shelters that cover small garden beds? Has this worked for anyone? Will it keep the plants warm enough to produce or at least not die during cold snaps without using any kind of heating? Any suggestions of things that has worked for you'all would be appreciated! Any plans have to be easy to understand & put together,as I won't have any help from dear hubby,who just doesn't have my enthusiasm for gardening. I also have a small garden shed that I could put a couple potted plants in,but I would have to run an extension cord & run a space heater & grow lights. Has anyone done this either & have any info on how warm they could keep theirs & what dimensions,set up,etc? Thanks in advance for your advice & input!

Tina

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery