SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lavender_lass

Semi-formal garden design :)

lavender_lass
13 years ago

Well, according to my research on the Internet (what little I've been able to find) my garden style is defined as semi-formal.

Apparently, that's when you use a more formal layout with less formal plantings. So, for me, that would mean a formal design, but instead of arborvitaes on each corner of a rectangular garden, I would use butterfly bushes, or instead of boxwood around a bed, I would use lavender or even marigolds. Often, there's more color and flowers, but evergreens are still fine. I would use holly, if it weren't bad for the horses...I love holly. Perfect for Christmas :)

Formal gardens can sometimes be all in shades of green or boxwood around tea roses. While that's very pretty, I usually end up with shrub roses and daisies with lavender and salvias...maybe a few herbs thrown in. Another favorite combination is snow pavement roses with purple clematis and red bee balm (the ones with the purple centers are really striking).

Here's an example of what I would think of as a semi-formal garden. The design and layout are very formal, but the flowers are much more cottage style. I love this combination :)

Anyone else like this style?

Here is a link that might be useful: Formal design with cottage flowers

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living