SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
plumfan_gw

What Fig Things Do You Do On The Winter?

plumfan
18 years ago

Well, now that the fig season is all but dormant, what do you all do?

Here's what I did last January and February...

Using an upside-down, gallon sized pickle jar for a greenhouse, I started a whole whack of fig treelets for my friends using only 3 and 4 inch branch tips. Each small branch was inserted into a film canister of loose, moist potting soil. 6 or 7 of these canisters were put under the pickle jar together (also used short sections of PVC pipe as "pots" which worked just as well as cannisters!). I found that a largish rubber band would hold them all together in a stable manner. A simple flourescent light provided all the light needed to get them growing. They needed about a month of the "pickle jar greenhouse" treatment for them to start growing. I did not water them at all while in the greenhouse as there was really nowhere the water could escape. The insides of the jar were very moist.

A few of them tried to grow mould, so a misting of some fungicidal product cut back on any mould problems.

I did not attempt to aclimatize these new fig trees to room air until I saw roots trying to come out the bottom holes of the film canisters. When I saw roots, I knew it was time to move them to larger pots (use a squirted stream of water to wash dirt off roots if necessary -- beats pulling figs out of cannisters only to break all the roots off!) I had to slowly aclimatize them to room air. It took about a week or so to do that.

By spring, I had lots of fig trees ready to give to friends, who eagerly snatched them up. Makes a very nice gift!

What do you do in the winter?

Comment (1)