SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
discordiatree_gw

Help with Wilting Aralia

discordiatree
10 years ago

Hi there,

I'm very worried about my beautiful Aralia stump. I believe it's a Fabian or Balfour. I'm not sure which as online research has not been easy with this plant. I've had it for 2 years and only last summer I saved it from the clutches of death by mealy bugs by re potting, flushing and trimming. I was so relived and now mysteriously it is sick again.

I noticed a bunch of drooping wilted leaves a week ago. It turned out to be the entire branch (1 of 5 branches), which seemed shriveled and dead, so i amputated it. I thought it might be root rot so I pulled it out of its soil and had a look. White thick roots and lots of little hairy roots. Nothing black or squishy. It's winter in Canada but my windows aren't drafty. It is dry in here and my window sill is right above the heat vents. This window receives low indirect light but it has always been in the sill and ok.

All of the leaves are a medium green colour, are very soft to the touch and seem too heavy to stand up. I usually wait for the plant to dry out quite a bit before watering. I had been putting a few drops of fertilizer in one a month, which seemed to help it spring back. I don't think I overwatered it but I can't be sure. The soil was slightly moist at the base after weeks of not watering.

So last night I moved it to a sunnier window also over a radiator, got a humidifier and sprayed the plant with water. It seemed really dry in the morning so I have it a little water and sun. After work the plant looks terrible. Everything is drooping. All the leaves are green. And the other branches are not as firm as I'd like.

I've been through a lot with this plant. I don't want it to die and I have no idea what's wrong with it. Help me please.

Other specs: it's in a soiless mixture and it's not a pest infestation.

Comments (5)

Sponsored