SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tess_2008

immature garder vs gift dilemna

15 years ago

Perhaps I am an immature daylily gardener in that I am liking to incorporate DL's in my mixed borders, and around the house, but prefer only rebloomers due to the short season I have to love my flowers. Now, here is the delimna: mother-in-law with family reputation of knowing "everything" about gardening (but in reality her expertise is tomato growing of years past, and never a flower gardener), gave me three "stella d'oro" roots passed on from her friend. I didn't believe these looked right for Stella D'Oro, and hesitated to put them in the bed by the house. (This was one, possibly two years ago. Time is a blur now.) I questioned if these were rebloomers at the time, and she assured me that they were. I have since come to understand that she probably thinks "rebloomers" means perennial. I am blessed to have a mother-in-law that is a good friend, and I don't want to offend. (We also are about 10 years apart in age and don't have the "normal" mother/daughter-in-law relationship.) That said, however lovely, the gift has increased four fold in size in a year (or is it two years?), and though lovely, is a flash in the pan. The foliage is very huge (tall), unlike what I was expecting. This spot is near my side entrance and thus why I wanted more staying color. The spot has several burgundy barberry, dwarf alberta spruce, several midget global arborvitae interspaced with lovely yellow mums in the foreground every fall. The lilies there will be my only other flower, other than the mums, though I have foliage color from my other plantings. Do I replace the plants (she may never know), or maybe I should mature my tastes/expectations, be satisfied, learn to accept diversity, treasure the "unexpected," be thankful for the gift and forget it? There was a time I wouldn't have given it another thought and yanked them. Now I'm doing things like contemplating if there is more to gardening than just gardening. What say ye?

Comments (10)

• 15 years ago

If the foliage is too tall for the spot,yank 'em.Replant them around your mailbox if you fell you should keep them. They don't sound like Stella to me. Mine start blooming in June and end in Oct.,resting a week or so between flushes of scapes.

• 15 years ago

I've never seen a tall Stella d'Oro, but I have seen fairly tall black-eyed Stella. Does it matter? Plant something you like there, and replant your "Stellas" in a nice spot, or even in a big pot you can put on the deck or the porch.

Lainey

• 15 years ago

If you decide you don't want them, maybe you could "accidentally" get Roundup on them when you are spraying the edge of the bed. :)

Ann

• 15 years ago

Oh, Ann! The accidental Roundup ploy! How clever!

Just so everybody knows, there is no doubt that these are neither Stella D'Oro nor rebloomers by the door. I may not have been clear there.
    I just may move them and replace them with what I wanted.
    When we have family over for picnics, mom will be so pleased how good those "rebloomers" she gave me still look by the door!

I am new to the daylily forum, though, and was wondering if the group leans more towards rebloomers, or not? Am I alone in this, or am I missing a whole other world?

• 15 years ago

Has your MIL ever seen these in bloom? I'd move them for a while and see if she ever notices anything; if she asks about them I'd just say you decided to move them to another location where they do better. Or you could simply tell her the truth and that her friend was mistaken about them being Stella d'Oros. After all, she was giving a friend's freebies. If it had been a daylily gift she had purchased just for you, that would be another matter.

• 15 years ago

I'm in zone 5, and IMHO I don't think rebloom is reliable for us in this zone. Daylilies need long hot days/weeks for good rebloom to happen, and we just don't have that climate. Stella is about the only dayliliy to rebloom every year, and some years it's better than others.

Better to plant an early blooming daylily, a mid-season blooming daylily and a late blooming daylily.

• 15 years ago

I'm in zone 3b-4 and I get rebloom on some eg Sabine Baur and Enchanted April, Happy Returns probaly many more

• 15 years ago

Gifts are nice but if it doesn't suit the spot I'd transplant it elsewhere and plant the Stellas in the gift plant's place. I gift plenty of daylilies and sometimes I just pop them in a bare spot to keep them healthy. I always tell folks if they want them somewhere else it's no problem at all. Should have some pics of some of the "gifted" plants soon. I'm with you, I prefer the rebloomers (and spiders), you want more color in the location it's probably not going to happen without a change.

• 15 years ago

It sounds like a question of priorities. Do you want to keep it because it was a gift from your MIL, or discard it for the same reason? Or is the flower more important? If it were me, I would keep it. That being said, if I didn't like the place it was in I would move it, no matter who gave it to me.

• 15 years ago

All insightful advice. Thank you! I would never discard the plant. I was just doing some soul searching about having what I want versus the chance of needlessly offending. I don't think MIL would be offended for my replacing it or moving it, but I want to be careful because it is the family that views her not only as the matriarch, but guru of gardening (though it seems that only I know she cares solely about vegetables, and has no flower gardening experience, which I think she would freely admit). I do have a great relationship with my MIL. I guess I am trying to be careful because people are more important than plants to me. The truth is that MIL has seen it bloom, and even if I replaced it tomorrow, she probably would not recognize the bloom (or the plant) as being a stella d'oro, or even a different plant. So, I guess it is not about the lily at all. I think the suggestion that I will take is to bring it up to MIL that I treasure the lilies, but have found a much better spot (which is true) to put them. She doesn't need to know that they are not what she thought, and definitely not a rebloomer. That way MIL can remain the garden guru of the family and no feelings will be hurt. Thanks for the ideas!