SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
janroze

straight vs curved paths

janroze
14 years ago

Do you prefer/have straight or curved garden paths and why? If you don't have the kind you want, what do you do about it?

I have a straight cement path on the E side of the house and I hate it. It would be too costly to remove. But there is more than one way to skin a cat (sorry cat lovers) and these are times to be creative.

In this VERY narrow side yard, I am considering several things: instead of trimming plants to keep them off the path, I may encourage them to grow over it, in fact plant even more on both sides-not just the house side like now-and cover it completely, so visually it won't exist in the summer.

This will offer several opportunities: more space to plant; a curving path of stepping stones framed in pebbles,which I love, beyond this garden area; a wee bit more garden on the far side of the path with clematis, lilacs and an ornamental crab apple tree.

When the frost kills it all, I can clean the dead foliage off the walkway and still use the cement path for the snow blower to clear the way to the patio for hauling in fire wood. Plus, the snow will cover the stones, so it won't look like I have two paths side by side-at least most of the time.

What do you think? Do you have other ideas? All suggestions are welcome, even if you think they might be silly, they may be usable, in whole or part, for me.

gramma jan

Comments (17)

Sponsored