SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
irene_dsc

The 'New' Low-Maintenance Garden

irene_dsc
13 years ago

So, I found this book at the library yesterday, and grabbed it. Granted, one of the very first thing she mentions is that cottage gardens are OUT. But, I found that I'm already doing most of what she considers to be the New Low-Maintenance Garden! But then, I've never been willing to devote my entire life to my garden, so I guess I got to that point way before the author did. ;)

But, anyhow, I was amused that my attitude of only including plants that will survive with little work from me is considered a new idea to the author. I've also always been an organic gardener - if I need to spray chemicals, forget it. Also, my strategy of narrowing down plant choices by using a color scheme, and repeating plants that do well. I've only gradually been adding more shrubs, however.

I was also amused that she considers containers to be low maintenance. I would need some sort of drip watering system before I would consider it low maintenance. Granted, I've never planted really large containers like she shows.

I was intrigued by the amount of metal raised beds she showed. I kept wondering if the owners cut themselves on the exposed edges!

Comments (25)

Sponsored