SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jakkom

NorCA Sept Flowers - photo heavy!

jakkom
11 years ago

I didn't want to bog down mary_lu's "What's Blooming?" thread. In looking my photos over, somehow I missed my osteospermums entirely, but right now they are blooming in purple, white, and one of the new coppery-beige colors. Osteos reseed like weeds here and cross-breed as well, so I never know quite what colors are going to show up next!

Photos are roughly organized by area. First, the shaded bed on the north side of the house. Not much in bloom, but the foliage mix in this bed worked out extremely well. It looks good just about all year long:

{{gwi:746357}}

A new 'Vancouver Centennial' I put in last week. I had this variety elsewhere, but it needed a little more water than was available. I think this bed will suit it much better:

{{gwi:746358}}

"Endless Summer" hydrangea. I don't find these very vigorous in our climate. Good winter chill resistance, though. I like the greenish tint that the dying mopheads get:

{{gwi:746359}}

Now to the front of the house - LH side bed from the sidewalk. On the left of this photo you can see a yellow euryops and a pink-flowering heuchera in bloom:

{{gwi:746360}}

At the back of the bed, nearest the front stairs, is a new Tibouchina urvilleana. My previous one in another spot died last winter. This is a very cold spot also, but I'm hoping that some new surrounding shrubs will protect this one:

{{gwi:746361}}

These unnamed bearded iris were free, and they bloom twice a year if given enough water:

{{gwi:746362}}

Pelargoniums do very well here. This "Indian Dunes" is destined for the back yard, where I'm redoing three of my fifteen (total) garden beds. I won't put it in the ground until the winter rains start, however:

{{gwi:746363}}

Although we have had some hot days, over the last few years our summers have been so cool, the nasturtiums are popping up again in August and September. Here an Alaska variegated hybrid has sprung up next to one of the "Dwarf Princess" alstroemeria:

{{gwi:746364}}

Another pelargonium hybrid, very vigorous:

{{gwi:746365}}

I have a couple of blooms on my white 'Margaret Merrill" rose, but they formed in the back of the bush and I couldn't get a good angle on them. At the rosebush's feet is a limonium, great filler for a vase arrangement:

{{gwi:746366}}

Here is the middle bed in the front yard, just across the path to the front door from the bed shown above:

{{gwi:746367}}

J&P shrub rose "Electric Blanket". A harsh pink, but it's an amazingly tough rose:

{{gwi:746368}}

Two new plants I put in a couple of months ago; an orange erysimum and a variegated euphorbia. Not sure if they'll make it through next summer in a spot where the soaker hoses don't reach. They should be okay this winter, but only time will tell if they survive long-term. Behind them is one of the last of the fading blue agapanthus flowers, and the tiny red-and-yellow flowers of a shrub lantana:

{{gwi:746369}}

My camera turned this pelargonium a pinkish-red. Actually it is a brilliant, fire-engine true red:

{{gwi:746370}}

This middle bed borders our garage driveway. We're on a hill so you can see the slope is fairly steep. The plants trailing down are three colors of lantana and two "Red Apple" aptenia plants:

{{gwi:746371}}

I'll put the second batch of photos in a following post. Enjoy!

Comments (7)

Sponsored