SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
clkingtx

Delicious fig ripened in cool late October

clkingtx
14 years ago

I had always heard that figs had to have lots of heat to develop sweetness and flavor. I was so disappointed when all my figs dropped(on several different trees) due to the Texas heat(they are all young, and most in pots). My mom bought me two young fig trees in June that were loaded down, and I thought maybe I would get some figs, after all. She was told they were celeste, and though I already had a celeste(confirmed by fruit), I knew that often figs are mislabeled(my verte figs were sold to me as either celeste or brown turkey), so I figured I stood a good chance of having something other than another celeste. Well, when I planted them in a garden bed, they sulked and dropped most of their figs. Two got to about penny size, and stopped growing. One actually ripened(a dark purple-not celeste, right?) in the very mild/cold weather we have been having(though it didn't get any bigger as it ripened, and I picked it the other day, I didn't think to take pictures of it, now I wish I did. It was as I said, a dark purple fig, with red interior, very sweet, and fantastic flavor. There was very think skin, and it was round, the diameter was somewhere between a penny and a nickel. I really wish I knew what kind it is, next year I will make sure and take pictures. Whatever it is, it tells me I have at least 3 different varieties in my collection!

Isn't this weird for a fig to ripen to taste so good in such cool weather?

Any ideas what variety it could be? I would post a pic of the leaves, but I can't find my usb cable right now. In looking on raysfigs info the leaves look like a cross between a brunswick and a san pietro, if that gives a clue. The fig was closed eye, had a neck, and as I said was small and round, with thin skin and red flesh.

Any ideas on what it might be, and how it ripened so deliciously in such cool weather?

thanks!

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting