SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
figman_gw

Fig Update and How hardy is hardy Chigago

figman
18 years ago

Greetings folks

Its been a while since I've posted here. In May of this year we welcomed our second daughter into our home. Allison is now 4.5 months old and our oldest has just turned 2. So needless to say, I've had very little time, especially to post on forums. So Hello all and glad to be back.

OK, figs... Well I've got a pretty good smattering of trees growing in pots (niagara falls, Canada) here. I have been eating figs for a few weeks now (thanks to an early start in my greenhouse). However as the growing season has progressed, I've found myself with some questions.

First, I have a Hardy chicago and danny's delight trees. The fruit seem very similar, however, I want to plant a few figs outside. I vaguely remember reading here that HC can be killed to the ground and sprout in the spring and have enough time to produce figs. We're in a z6B here. Can someone out there who had experience with either of these varieties outdoors let me know how hardy they are? I don't want to wrap them, I just want to let them resprout!

Also, I have a tree that's supposed to be a desert king. It was my understanding that this tree only ripened brebas and couldn't ripen a main crop. Well this tree did ripen brebas and has now started ripening a second crop! am I confused? The figs are a nice golden yellow color with a salmon colored inside, not a lot of flavor, but a nice mild sweet taste? comments are welcome.

I've also wanted to share that a number of figs on my trees dropped figs. Not all, just some. I'm not sure why either. Some are ripening while others on the tree dropped for no apparent reason. Other trees in the same size pots and growing medium, same light, same water, same feedings etc have held all their figs! Confused here too!!! Now all the trees have FMV, could that affect some trees worse than others and cause figs to drop? who knows.

Anyway glad to be back, it will take me a while to catch up. If there is anyone in the Niagara falls area who wants to trade fig trees or cuttings please contact me.

FIGMAN

Comments (6)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH