SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
grant_in_seattle

Hollyhocks what are your favorite types/colors/varieties?

grant_in_seattle
17 years ago

Hi everyone,

I just planted some seeds of several types of hollyhocks so I thought I'd see what your favorite types are, whether specific varieties, or colors, or strains etc.

I love hollyhocks and always have. I do actively dislike the yellow-flowering types and tend to rogue them out (the yellow of their flowers reminds me of the yellow of sick/yellowing hollyhock leaves). Yellow roses, I adore; yellow hollyhocks get thinned out ASAP, lol.

Anyway, besides that predjudice, I like most of the old fashioned single-flowering types in bright or pastel colors (the brighter the better). I'm starting some heirloom types that I've carried from garden to garden, plus some of the double-flowering 'Peaches N Dreams' from Thompson and Morgan, and next year I want to try some of the so-called single-season types that flower easily the first year from seed.

What about you? Any types or colors you like best? Or least?

I'm not a huge fan of the black flowering ones as I tend to like bright colors ("clowns pants" is what my family calls my garden taste), but they are interesting for sure.

Your turn! :)

Take care,

Grant

Comments (11)

Sponsored