SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dovetail_gw

Cottage Garden Newbie! *advice please?*

Dovetail
10 years ago

Hello Everyone! I love the look of cottage gardens, but I've never lived somewhere I was able to have one.

I would love some advice setting up my yard. I've been working slowly with what I can afford and find. However, I just made a new full sun bed and I'm so excited to fill it up!

{{gwi:741593}}

The bed is ~2' deep *from patio to wood* should I make it deeper? I can't make it any wider *house to edge of patio*

Off the right of the image I have a rock trimmed bed with Russian Sage, Catmint and Veronica and another bed along that same side with yellow and fuchsia daylilies. These plants are all just next to each other since those beds are rather small (I'd like to make expand them or fill them in with something?)

I used the wood as a trim, but my land lord has some synthetic shale that I could maybe use to make a rounder more curved border. The wood nearest the foreground will be moved for another bed.

I want to add some dirt to level the ground but it's been raining so much I haven't had the chance.

The shrub that's there was here when we moved in, so I just went around it.

Here are the flowers I have slated to buy so far Fritillaria Purple Bell Michailovskii:
Mid spring 6-8" (5 Bulbs)

Spanish Bluebells:
Mid - late spring 16-20" (10 Bulbs)

Allium Moly -
Late spring to early summer 12-16" (25 Bulbs)

Monsier Jules Elie Peony:
Late spring to early summer 32-34" (1 3/5 eye clump)

Yellow Narcissus:
Early Spring (maybe? moving them from a shade spot because they didn't bloom)

Lily Of The Valley:
If enough shade is created 8"-9" (maybe in that terra cottage container in the foreground. Please don't harp, I love how they smell!)

I also have some Hollyhock coming from the seed exchange woo!

So what do you all think? Are these nice "cottage" type flowers? and I wonder what sort of positions I should put them in to get that meandering "wild" look.

This post was edited by Dovetail on Tue, Aug 6, 13 at 17:58

Comments (26)

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals