SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mcr1968

How can you tell if you're getting a healthy plant?

mcr1968
13 years ago

My hubby and I stopped by Lowes yesterday to just "browse" through the garden center. We were not going to purchase anything, we were just going to "look". Well, that was before we got to the clearance racks. Everything was already marked with a clearance price and then there was a sign that said buy one get one free. Who could pass that up right? So, we purchased these:

2 Hosta Patriots

2 Hosta Fire and Ice

2 Ferns: 1 King Ostrich Fern & 1 Japanese Beech Fern

2 Stella D'Oro Daylilies

2 Salieri Daylilies

All for less than $15. The whole time we were shopping, we were pulling plants out of the pots to check the roots. Being newbie gardeners, we were not really sure what to look for, but they appeared to be ok. Some of the foliage on the Stellas were a little brown. The Hostas and ferns were fairly small.

So here's my question: I would like to go back and "browse" some more, but What do you look for/watch out for when purchasing potted plants...especially off of the clearance racks?

And just for fun, I browsed the net looking for a pic of the Salieri daylily. Keeping my fingers crossed that I will get to see this beauty in my garden next year:

Isn't she pretty?

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations