SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
naturegirl_2007

Loch Levin photos, Cisco Grove, CA

After seeing greenman28's hike photos, I decided this would be a good stopping point along my cross country drive. The beauty of the conifers was enhanced since I came off 2 days of driving through mostly treeless plains and desert in my Michigan to San Francisco journey. Josh, I didn't get very far before losing the trail. Never reached the train track. But I greatly enjoyed the area and the side wanderings I took.

Trailhead: The snow made for some slippery hiking on the rocks. Two knuckle scrapes were the only injuries.

From California 2009

How did this tree ever grow at all? And how long has it been dead?

From California 2009

There were great views everywhere I looked.

From California 2009

Never saw a cone like this in Michigan! I have my guess at its ID. What's the expert's ID? It came from a pine with long needles in bundles of 3.

From California 2009

What a will to survive!

From California 2009

Not sure how much longer the above tree will last. Here's the top of it with green needles on some branch tips.

From California 2009

An early wrong turn brought me to this relic from the past. Looks like the fencing has been there a long time.

From California 2009

Snow from the branches above was melting and drifting down as a mist backlighted by the sun as I hiked through this splendid grove. I could not find the trail on the uphill side so I spent quite abit of time wandering around this special place and looking for alternative routes. Finally, I admitted defeat and headed back to the car with some extra time to snap a few more pictures.

From California 2009

Interesting growth showed up on many of the trees.

From California 2009
From California 2009
From California 2009

I've no idea what conifer this is. Help, please!

From California 2009

The next generation:

From California 2009
From California 2009
From California 2009

Life at the top:

From California 2009
From California 2009

The only "loch" along my route. Oh, well, it was fantastic, anyway!

From California 2009

Comments (6)

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Wow!!! Really beautiful pictures, Naturegirl! So much brighter than mine....and that snow is such a nice touch!

The cone in question is a Jeffrey Pine cone, I believe. They look like a shorter version of Ponderosa. I grabbed a couple of cones from the tree in the parking area.

The small conifer in question is a Sierra Juniper (Juniperus occidentalis). I noticed that many of the young plants and seedlings had a glaucous coloration. I wonder if the pale color on the young plants helps prevent sunburn?

Hey, I recognize that pine...! ;-)

• pineresin
    14 years ago

Superb!

Ditto to Jeffrey Pine cone (actually larger than Ponderosa cones, not shorter!) and Sierra Juniper.

Resin

• gardener365
    14 years ago

Yep! Very nice.
    Did you collect cones for fun?

Dax

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    14 years ago

"Ditto to Jeffrey Pine cone (actually larger than Ponderosa cones, not shorter!) and Sierra Juniper."
    - Thanks, Resin! Sorry about that terribly unclear sentence ;)
    What I meant to say was that the Jeffrey Pine tree looks like a shorter version of the Ponderosa...(shorter, at least, than some of the lower elevation trees near my house). As can be seen in Naturegirl's pic #3, Jeffrey Pines can be quite tall, indeed!

Josh

• naturegirl_2007 5B SW Michigan
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, I'm glad to have photos as memories of a fun afternoon. Yes, Dax, I collected 4 large cones in a parking lot and managed to get them in my airline luggage. I also have unknown cones from my daughter's yard. You'll get a chance at ID's soon. I loved the cones of sugar pine spotted later in my vacation the most. They were in a National Park so I left them alone. Hard to do, but I thought I'd see more somewhere else that I could grab guilt free. Never saw any more :( I do have pics of them, tho...watch for giant sequoia and coast redwood pictures in the next few days with a few sugar pines thrown in for extra fun.

• sluice
    14 years ago

The conifers look great with those rocks, thanks for the tour!