SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
effdeevee

Powdered Cinnamon as a wound-dressing, and more...

effdeevee
16 years ago

I learned this useful trick from an old time Orchid-grower ...

If you have just pruned back a branch, or nipped out the terminal buds, etc., dust the open wound with powdered cinnamon ... yes, I said powdered cinnamon. The same stuff that you buy in grocery stores. It's good for a lot more than just French-Toast. It contains a natural anti-bacterial substances, and fungicides. I used a little cinnamon powder to treat an abrasion spot which developed on the skin of one of my figs. I knew that this may be an entry point for bacteria, or rot, etc. I slightly moistened the spot, and then sprinkled on the cinnamon powder. The fig developed without any other problems and is ripening on schedule.

Cinnamon can be used to treat black-rot, fungus infections, open pruning cuts, oozing wounds, etc. I've noticed that many fig trees have these empty, hollow channels where once a small branch grew and died. These soda-straw sized holes can hold moisture, insects, or, worse. One of my trees has one of these small branch channels, so I cleaned it out as best I could, and then, filled the entire hole with powdered cinnamon. Bet the hole closes up and heals over without any further problems. I never use any cut-paste on fresh pruning cuts. I let them dry natrually, and then dust with cinnamon powder. There's enough residual moisture, or sap, to hold the powder on the fresh cut. They always heal over quickly.

Comments (2)