SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
geoff_ri

Please Help with Leaf Problem

Geoff S
12 years ago

I would appreciate identifying problem(s) and solutions to the following. Pictures below.

I have first year cuttings that have been potted up earlier this spring. They've done well so far, but about two months after potting up to one gallon pots, problems started...rust colored leaves on the underside and on top. When I've held back a bit on water, these leaves shriveled up and got crunchy as opposed to wilted.

The problem showed up after very vigorous stem and leaf growth. I pinched back all fruits (except one that I couldn't resist leaving on). The problem is variable in intensity from leaf to leaf, with some leaves not being very much affected. There also seems to be a difference between plants, with some plants being more or less affected.

I have six plants from cuttings started this past winter. They are of are four different varieties coming from different parts of the country.

One of the affected cuttings is from my own in-ground tree. The in-ground tree and and two other potted plants from the same mother tree that are two years old do not show any signs of problem.

The affected plants are potted in a mixture of about 50% Miracle Grow potting mix, 25% Perlite, and 25% play sand (in bags from from Home Depot). I also mixed in to this medium a little pelletized lime and some Osmocote slow release fertilizer. I tried to go easy on the last two, since I am weary of overdoing it with nutrients.

The plants are in my driveway and get about six hours of sun. There is good air circulation. I try to keep them evenly watered. Other than Osmocote, I do not fertilize. I do water through the plant to the point of draining a decent amount of water through the bottom. I water every two to three days depending on the heat. I also make sure not to over water to avoid root rotting.

My own novice thoughts...

1. Too much sun

2. Fertilizer burn

3. The bagged play sand that I used has some bad minerals or preservatives to inhibit mold/bacteria

I would appreciate any help in figuring this out.

This plant got a little too dry yesterday, and many of the leaves turned crisp. I pulled off the totally wasted ones, since they did not bounce back after watering yesterday evening.
{{gwi:809295}}From August 24, 2011

As you can see below, not all of the leaves are affected. There are small leaves growing above this larger leaf that seem to be doing okay so far. The last picture, though, shows new growth that is affected.
{{gwi:809297}}From August 24, 2011
{{gwi:809298}}From August 24, 2011
{{gwi:809300}}From August 24, 2011

This new growth seems to be very affected.
{{gwi:809303}}From August 24, 2011

Comments (9)